• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The STRAD meets the JAZZ SINGER

Share/Bookmark

Wink The STRAD meets the JAZZ SINGER

Here is a Neil Diamond song from the Jazz Singer circa 1980
    featuring the STRAD on vocals, GPO, JABB, and GM saw wave, and square wave for the backing band.
    The backing arrangement was completed some years ago and I have sung this song many times over the years.
    The Strad part was played in as follows
    my control keyboard set mod wheel for vibrato, slider 1 cc11 expression at 64
    real time recording left hand on vibrato right hand fingering
    Although I'm not a good enough keyboard player to hit all the right notes all the time, it didn't matter as long as I achieved the timing I was after.
    Once recorded in my DAW, Cubase 4 I then tweaked the note lengths, velocity, etc. Velocity of 20 for the finishing note on any potamento worked very well for me. When I completed that job I erased the vibrato and then re-recorded it during real time playback. I then set a control slider to aftertouch and repeated the recording process adding vibrato speed variations. The techniques used here and for anyone playing the Strad are entirely reliant on your ability to hear what you want to play, not necessarily your playing ability. The Garritan Stradivari Solo Violin isn't a luxury, it is a must for any sample library playing musician. No I'm not on the staff.
    A little work done on the Band

Songs Of Life

Ray

www.rayinstirling.net
    Last edited by rayzalaf; 05-05-2007 at 10:46 AM. Reason: a little work done on the band

Re: The STRAD meets the JAZZ SINGER

Ray,

This is cool.

You've done marvelous work with the Strad and the backing tracks. Those GM sines and saws were a treat!

Wow, is that Strad ever sweet in this, Ray... very
    moving rendition!

Beautiful job on the whole shooting match -- I kind of
    raised an eyebrow at first when I read the backup ensemble;
    but it sure does work.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thumbs up Re: The STRAD meets the JAZZ SINGER

Thanks for posting this Ray, this is one of those you want to listen to over and over, very nice!!

David

This comes from my favorite Neil Diamond album. I really enjoyed your version and arrangement. I'm drooling for this violin, I'm saving my pennies for it.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Dude!!! This is a keeper!

Gorgeous arrangement, and truly creative orchestration.

How long have you had the Strad (taking poetic license here!)?

Ray - More, please!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs
    Ray,

This is cool.

You've done marvelous work with the Strad and the backing tracks. Those GM sines and saws were a treat!
    Thanks for listening Reegs,
    I'm glad you liked my programming of the backing and arrangement and performance on the Strad.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Wow, is that Strad ever sweet in this, Ray... very
    moving rendition!

Beautiful job on the whole shooting match -- I kind of
    raised an eyebrow at first when I read the backup ensemble;
    but it sure does work.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Glad you enjoyed this David,
    I'm not sure why you would have doubts about my backing musicians. They haven't let me down in the past .
    I wasn't sure about wanting or needing the Strad until seeing the music store I've used for various purchases offering a big discount in their January sale.
    What a mistake if I hadn't bought it. With this instrument I can do better, and if I can, most musicians visiting this forum can. I, free of charge to Garritan libraries do award this product my seal of approval as the best sampled musical instrument I've heard to date.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf
    Thanks for posting this Ray, this is one of those you want to listen to over and over, very nice!!

David
    David,
    I listen to it myself again and again.
    I'm a guitarist who programs backing tracks. I use the term program because in most cases I just copy someone elses arrangement as a cover version.
    In this track I had the backing done in General Midi and just converted the instrumentation to the garritan sample set. The Strad part is different because it is only based on the melody line but doesn't follow exactly it which is definitely a new direction in my musical education.

Thanks again

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by LouisD
    This comes from my favorite Neil Diamond album. I really enjoyed your version and arrangement. I'm drooling for this violin, I'm saving my pennies for it.
    LouisD, thanks for listening
    I'm glad I picked a track from this album to sing with my Strad.
    I hope you get the funds soon for your Strad. I can't praise it highly enough.
    I don't know whether B flat is a good key for this piece being played on a violin. I hoped I might get some feedback on that. I just played what I thought in my minds eye it would sound like. I intend adding a little more information on how I produced this melody line on the thread.

Best Regards

Ray

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast