• Register
  • Help

Topic: Complete laptop solutions?

Share/Bookmark

Complete laptop solutions?

Hiya,

Anyone here have any experience or managed to cram an entire Gigastudio setup into a laptop??? i.e. Sequencer, Gigastudio all happening on one laptop with multi-client USB soundcard???

Its pretty hardcore but just wondering if anyone\'s done this before??? ehhehehe...

meeehoon

Re: Complete laptop solutions?

you are asking what I\'ve been asking as well for some time.

I did finally buckle and get a pretty fast Laptop(XP, Pent IV 2.2GHz, 1 Gig of RAM). I test drove it for a week only with Cakewalk, no external soundcard, no Giga (but ultimately I was heading there.)

Verdict: Machine was fast as can be
    Cakewalk ran 10 tracks of audio with a cakewalk Plug-in on each track (which aren\'t very CPU intensive), plus an .avi movie file running, too. This played with some hiccups. But overall, not bad.

But here\'s the good news. I was running all that off of the Hard drive that came with the computer. It was spinning at 4200, ATA-100 drive, seek time was (I believe) 12ms

So, with all that coming off just the program drive, I could have easily added an external hard drive via firewire to run Giga.

Anyway, the bad news is all that speed comes at a price. What\'s the price? Noisy fans!! Two of them... and that is the sole reason I returned the laptop within a week (unfortunately, I was running out of time so I had to make a quick decision within a week). One fan ran every 30 seconds to a minute. The second fan (the noisiest) ran when the machine was extra hot. And from all the things I was using the hard drive for, that meant it was hot all the time.

I then bought a Mac Powerbook (long story to explain the sudden jump). So, I still can\'t be of any real help to you except to say if you\'re interested you can check out some fast notebooks at www.lynncomputers.com
    It was the 8200 model...but beware of the noise factor.

Also, firewire/USB2 drives at www.avammo.com

Good luck...I\'m interested too to see if anyone has had actual real life success with a notebook running sequencer and Giga

Thanks Marty... If you don\'t mind or if you have the time, could you explain why you bought the Powerbook??? My guess is that you are using Logic Audio and use the Powerbook to run it... [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I am actually thinking of going portable with an iBook (good result of this with Logic on Sonik forum) and then have desktop PCs at home that runs Giga... Mac prices are pretty steep and portable solution seems to be the way to go (i.e. it comes with screen etc)... But I am still considering my options... I am hoping to get a 15\" TiBook where I can take it on site to do site recordings...

Let me know the performance of your Powerbook??? Thanks!

meeehoon

Hi,

I got the 15\" Titanium but have yet to get running for music. Yes, I will be going to Logic platform but am curently just messing around with ProTools free in OS 9.

I have no external soundcard yet either so I can\'t give you any assessment of how this Powerbook is going to fare.

but let me say that the Mac experience is quieter, lighter and overall a higher class experience.

The PC laptop I was telling you about not only had the noisy fans but after about 5 to 6 boots ups over a week\'s time, the windows XP OS would get stuck at the \'Welcome\' screen. I then would do ctrl+alt+del to restrat and suddenly the Desktop would appear. I then sat down and thought real hard about investing anything more into Microsoft.

I went to an Apple shop in Las Vegas and upon using, seeing, experiencing the Powerbook there was no more doubt in my mind: I would buy Mac and just spend the extra dough getting Logic, Bias peak and EXS 24 (running my Giga libraries). Anyhow, you\'ve caught me in the beginning of this investment. I\'m still waiing for Logic 6 to get in full swing (it\'s getting there) and also waiting for more dough to get these softwares.

I still have my Soundchaser Giga rig and am using that running bith Sequencer and Giga. I\'ll always keep that rig even when I get into the full swing of the Mac.

The other thing i thought about was the Mac experience
    1) Can\'t be any worse then the Windows experience
    2) So many professionals wouldn\'t use it if it wasn\'t mostly dependable

With those two thoughts I\'m adding the Mac to my arsenal.

Hopefully in a few months I\'ll be able to give you some real life experience with music on this Mac.

Please do post back on your experience in a few months time... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] So far everyone I came across on the Sonik forum are rather fond of their TiBook and iBook setup running Logic... I think its a sensible idea now that Logic 6 has a freeze function that cuts down severely on the CPU usage, which is good...

I will be following down your path in a couple of months time too as I am a long term Logic user and really can\'t see the benefit of staying PC and switching to another sequencer... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I shall bug you then to see how you are coming along with your 15 incher!!! Thanks!!!

meeehoon

Hey, meehoon, the other thing to consider is if and when you decide Mac the Titanium 17 incher comes with 800mbps firewire connection as well as the standard 400mbps. 800mbps translates to 100MB per sec. which is lovely transfer speeds for disk streaming samples using the EXS24. You could then use the other 400mbps to stream audio. Just a thought...seems to look good on paper anyway.

[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

With just Protools free, I am able to playback 8 mono tracks of audio (which is the limit for the Free version) with two real-time plug-ins per track (used Compressor, delays, EQ)...could have done more but got bored .

First the audio was on the internal hard drive then I copied it and played it from the AVAmmo firewire external drive. Neither broke a sweat.

The fan was on continuously but it\'s quiet. The AVAmmo Hush drive was quiet as well (doesn\'t use a fan to cool itself).

Well, that\'s it for now. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum