• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Making the switch to Mac - VSI?

Share/Bookmark

Making the switch to Mac - VSI?

Hi all.

I have decided to make the switch from PC over to Mac. It's a little scary, but apparently my RME Multiface is Universal, and will work with a Mac. (I didn't know Macs had PCMCIA card slots, which will tell you how much I know about Macs.) I have an "ideal set up" in my head which I'd like to run by you folks for comments. So, hopefully, this thread will be less about Mac vs. PC and more about that.

I really like the capabilities of Logic Pro 7. I was able to use it a couple summers ago, and really, I didn't have many complaints. (One was the question of whether or not Logic has "score-view" capability for multiple tracks and whether it allows for mouse note-input)... Anyhow...

I also really enjoy GS3 and I have a decent "basic" set of samples to use. (SAM Brass, Opus 1, and I'll be adding SSIS Strings soon if they can get back to me.) Currently, I have a laptop DAW and one desktop on which I run GS3.

My 'master plan', thus far, is to go with a Macbook Pro equipped with Logic 7 Pro. Along with that, I had planned to use GVI inside of logic. It seems like I could run more streamlined on one computer this way. Does anyone do this? What performance are you able to get out of it if you do.

Also, does anyone use GVI along with GS3 on another computer? I'm trying to understand what I'd have performance-wise. Is this a smart solution?

Thanks very much for your consideration and advice!

Steve K
    Steven J. Kukla
    Kuklamusic.com

Re: Making the switch to Mac - VSI?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_K

My 'master plan', thus far, is to go with a Macbook Pro equipped with Logic 7 Pro. Along with that, I had planned to use GVI inside of logic. It seems like I could run more streamlined on one computer this way. Does anyone do this? What performance are you able to get out of it if you do.
    Steve, GVI does not work on Macs. I've heard that Tascam are working on a MAC GVI (I think i heard it might be released this summer), but it will probably be a vst and not compatible with logic pro. GS3 also does not work on macs, so you'd need to run that on a PC (or within windows on mac "boot-camp")

Ahhhh..... That is pretty disappointing. Logic doesn't do VSTinstruments? I didn't realize that. Thanks for the information! Any recommendations? Just to go Mac for DAW, PC for Giga?

Steve
    Steven J. Kukla
    Kuklamusic.com

Ahhhh..... That is pretty disappointing. Logic doesn't do VSTinstruments? I didn't realize that. Thanks for the information! Any recommendations? Just to go Mac for DAW, PC for Giga?

Steve

Logic Pro uses a format that is called Audio Units, most soft instruments work, except the GigaStudio stuff...

I know that a lot of composers run a PC for GS to run and use Logic on a Mac to compose.. but you need alot of space for that ....

oh and Mac pro has also changed the card slots too...No longer PCMCIA but Express card.
    www.sounds-and-images.co.uk

And now also at Flickr!

http://flickr.com/photos/sounds-and-images/

www.myspace.com/simonfielder

NorthernSounds.NET.
    View Simon Fielder's Profile at NorthernSounds.net

Steve
    That's what I'm doing right now Steve...MAC DAW, PC Giga with audio routed to the Mac Audio Interface.

I'm not too familiar with logic, so there may be some workaround way to get vst's into it. I think there is something called FXspansion vst to au wrapper for logic. There may be other solutions as well.

But that won't help you until GVI is realeased for MAC because pc only vsts don't work on mac. Who knows, Tascam may have an .au version of it for the logic users just to make things easy. I'm just not sure.

I do know that there will eventually be a MAC GVI though.

I hope this helps.

It helps a good deal, yes, thank you both. I did know about Audio Units (Apple's version of vst, right?), but I thought it did VST as well.

If I have to connect two machines, it's nothing different than what I currently do. I have an RME multiface, though, as I said. It says it's both PC and Mac compatible, but it connects to the computer via PCMCIA card, so if the new Powerbooks don't support that, I suppose that means I am out of luck unless RME has a solution.

Does anyone have word on this? Don't know if anyone uses a multiface with a Mac. I suppose I'll need to put in an email to Tascam, too. I wonder how fast they are at responding.

Thanks again, everyone, I appreciate it.

Steve
    Steven J. Kukla
    Kuklamusic.com

Thumbs up Re: Making the switch to Mac - VSI?

I had a high-end PC. I switched to Mac and I 'll never go back. I use Logic Pro7 and I'' never go back to Cubase, but it's a good application though.

Check this out....> VST to AU Adapter v2.0

--Al

I had two PCs (P4 & AMD 64 Athlon) and after having no end of problems with both, I switched to Mac when the Intel versions were released. I have both iMac Core 2 Duo and Macbook and use MOTU Digital Performer and occasionally Logic Express. Both work very well.

Tascam hasn't announced whether GVI will be VST-only on the Mac side. You might want to drop them a line (or give them a call) to see if an AU version is in the plans, my guess would be that it is.

Dave, sorry if this is dense: does that mean you don't use Gigastudio? Did you ever, when you had PCs, or... ?

Clonewar, thanks for the advice. I'll see if I can drop Tascam a line.

Steve
    Steven J. Kukla
    Kuklamusic.com

Go Back to forum