• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question About The Different Libraries

Share/Bookmark

Question About The Different Libraries

this might be a dumb question, but whats the difference between the strad violin and the ks solo violin in gpo? the same with the grof cello. and what is this Strings library - is that last one just the strings section of GPO or is it a better strings library?

and, when is this choir coming out? i just heard that spectrasonics one and i was blown away, the good blown away. then i was blown away by the price, the bad blown away - gary, you need to save us poor kids who want a good choir library?

well, those are my libraries questions.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Re: Question About The Different Libraries

Hi Keith,

Regarding GPO Strad KS and Strad:

There is a huge difference, based on the whole approach to how the instruments are played and how they were originally recorded.

The KS violin in GPO is a static set of samples, recorded with multiple velocity and timbre changes occuring via sophisticating crossfading of static samples via the modwheel. The vibrato control you have is very limited since most of it is engrained in the recording (on vib mode). Of course, in my experience it is far from inferior!

The strad uses a technology known as Harmonic Alignment (developed by Stefano Lucato and Giorgio Tomassini) to evenly glide between recorded sample layers. It also creates the tone of the instrument in part due to impulse responses of the body and the vibrato is completely controllable. It uses a LOT of scripting technology.

I believe that's the basic difference: I'm sure Gary will correct me if I have made some inaccuracies.

Hope this helps,

Reegs

Re: Question About The Different Libraries

i didn't realize that there was a complete different technology behind these solo libraries. i figured they sounded better so i guess thats why, but it seems like the benefits are for real time playing, which i never really do on my keyboard (i'm more of a guitar and bass player). will tweaking around in the editing box of a DAW of the GPO solo violin have similar results or does the new strad blow the GPO solo violin out of the water?

also, will building sections with this sound good or is it meant for strictly using as a solo instrument?

well anyway, thanks Stephen and Reegs for the input, i really do appreciate it.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Go Back to forum