• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Replacing HD = new NI authorization?

Share/Bookmark

Replacing HD = new NI authorization?

Hi folks,

I'm about to replace the internal HD of my laptop and I'm wondering if I will have to de-authorize and re-authorize the player?

I emailed NI 2 weeks ago and I didn't get a response yet aside from the automated confirmation email...

The only info I could find on the NI site about it was this:

"The hardware profile changes if you replace some of the basic components on an existing one. This makes an additional authorization necessary."

Does that include the internal HD?

I'm also wondering what is the best procedure for my HD replacement. Maybe some of you went through this before?

Here are the steps that I think I should do:

- Create a Ghost Image of my internal laptop HD onto an external firewire HD

- replace my internal laptop HD with a new/blank one.

- Boot the laptop with the Norton Ghost boot disc and copy the Ghost Image from the external firewire HD.

Hope this works!!!

Comments anyone?

NDEE

Re: Replacing HD = new NI authorization?

Ghost will work great for imaging the drive. I do this all the time at work and at home.

It's hard to say if you'll need to authorize the NI players. It's a hit or miss thing. Some products are picky about changing hardware. I just upgraded to a larger hard drive on the computer I'm typing this on and the only program I've running across that had authorization problems was Norton Internet Security. It took hours on the phone with Symantec to get it fixed as their authorization process is very buggy. Had to do a total uninstall using their tool, had to clean the registry and manually delete folders to get it to work. They sent me the latest version of the software and I've found that it scans slower than the previous version. Time to change to another brand.

One thing I found out is that Norton was causing my system to bootup and shutdown slowly. After it was uninstalled I couldn't believe how much faster my computer was. Boot and shutdown times were cut in half!

Jim

Norton has turned into evil bloatware. Try AVG or Kaspersky, much smaller footprint and system impact.

If it is the OS HDD, you can be pretty sure, re-authorization is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    If it is the OS HDD, you can be pretty sure, re-authorization is necessary.
    I formatted recently, and saved my authorization return file first. I just imported it when prompted, and it worked just fine. This was for the strad, which is the only KP2 instrument I have, but AFAIK, it's the same authorization scheme for all of 'em. So go for it!

Belbin

Quote Originally Posted by belbin
    I formatted recently, and saved my authorization return file first. I just imported it when prompted, and it worked just fine.
    When I replaced my OS drive and installed a third drive for samples, my hardware profile changed, and when that happens there is no way to avoid re-authorization.

Unless you think you might someday go back to using the old disk, why is re-authorization a problem? You can deactivate an authorization and activate a new one ad infinitum, so long as you don't try to re-authorize a hardware profile that you've already used.
    Cubase 5.1 | Cubase 4.5.2 | Digital Performer 7.0 | Mac OSX 10.5.8 || Mac "MDD" dual 1GB | 1.75GB RAM | MOTU PCI-424/2408mk3 | MOTU MidiTimepice AV

Quote Originally Posted by vic_france
    so long as you don't try to re-authorize a hardware profile that you've already used.
    And even that can apparently be done, if you beg NI on your bleeding knees.

My mistake...I failed to recognize the significance of an actual change in H/W.

belbin

Thanks for your comments.

Yes I'm changing the HD that has the OS on it (my laptop has only one internal HD).

It looks like I will have to re-authorize. Now for de-authorization, do I have to do it BEFORE changing my HD or can I de-authorize and re-authorize once the replacement HD is installed?

I don't mind re-authorizing it's just that I've read some posts of people messing up their 2 installations and end up not being abble to use the player on their computer again...

I emailed NI over 2 weeks ago about this but they didn't reply yet. I guess the beer was good at the Muzikmesse!!!

NDEE

Go Back to forum