• Register
  • Help

Topic: Any point in buying GVI, when you have GS3 VST adapter?

Share/Bookmark

Any point in buying GVI, when you have GS3 VST adapter?

I recently purchased Gigastudio 3 ensemble for the discount price. I have an EMU 0404 card, so i dont have GSIF drivers.

Take a look at this :

http://www.fx-max.com/gva/download.html

I read about this in another forum, and placed my order with confidence because another EMU-user like me, has GS3 working perfectly with this Giga VST adapter.

The adapter basically works like this : You insert the Adapter as a VST in your computer. Then, configure Gigastudio with the hardware as the fx-max. Then, just open Gigastudio 3. It will act like a VST (and not like rewire).

What do you folks think? Save me the 125$ upgrade, eh?

Re: Any point in buying GVI, when you have GS3 VST adapter?

And before you think its an april fool joke, google it and read about it in other forums. Its been there for quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by sambasevam
    I recently purchased Gigastudio 3 ensemble for the discount price. I have an EMU 0404 card, so i dont have GSIF drivers.

Take a look at this :

I read about this in another forum, and placed my order with confidence because another EMU-user like me, has GS3 working perfectly with this Giga VST adapter.

The adapter basically works like this : You insert the Adapter as a VST in your computer. Then, configure Gigastudio with the hardware as the fx-max. Then, just open Gigastudio 3. It will act like a VST (and not like rewire).

I have both. If you don't like dongles then GVA is great. GVI is easier to setup than GVA. You can also you GVI on other systems as long as you insert the dongle. GS3 is tied to one machine.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, i hate dongles.

So, I take it there are no disadvantages functionwise? I can set it up in my computer (i have only one and one computer only ) with a little patience.

One benefit that comes to mind using GVI is that in 32bit Windows you can access up to about 2.5-2.8 GB of samples in GVI if you have 3GB or more RAM using the /3GB boot switch. You don't get the advanced giga editor in GVI. GVI does not allow for elaborate routing as in GS3, but I tend to prefer to route in my host anyway as GS3 was a bit clunky in this regard. GVI does not require gsif drivers and is much less likely to clash with any of your other software. It is intended for use on a machine running inside of a host. GS3 is supposedly not, but I did have decent luck with it running that way anyway.

I would go for GVI personally, but you are not supposed to run GVI and GS3 on the same machine. Good luck with your decision :-)

fizbin

I have only 512 MB of RAM. I'm not a serious day-job composer as some of you guyz who have dedicated systems to just gigastudio 3 (which is an awesome idea, which i'd use if i were a film music composer). Some of you might remember me asking about GS3 vs. kontakt 2 a couple of months ago. Well, now i finally made up my mind and i just bought GS3 Ensemble.

Well, anyways, I'm planning on running GS3 inside Energy-XT or Reaper using the Giga VST bridge. Hope it works out well.

You should be OK, but you will need more RAM whether your choice is GVI or GS3. 1GB would be about the minimum. For orchestral stuff you should bump it up to 2GB.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by sambasevam

Take a look at this :

It works pretty well. Not as tightly integrated as most VSTi's, including GVI. Not a biggie. I'm having trouble with GVI in C4 and actually thinking about going back to the wrapper. G3 uses a lot of resources, and likes to have it's own machine. (which BTW, there is a wrapper for a remote installation of G3, you can get by without a sound card). Still, it never caused me problems.

I've used FX-teleport quite a bit. All the FX stuff usually works great, and does very interesting things.

Go Back to forum