• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sonia and Bubek Theater Music by Jonny Lost

Share/Bookmark

Sonia and Bubek Theater Music by Jonny Lost

Hello everyone,

As I mentioned to a few of you, I just finished work on a show called Sonia and Bubek. It was a work Commisioned for the Fifth International Play Fair at Ohio Northern University. They brought in playwrites and a director from Israel this year.

This is the first year that they have had original music written for the shows. One of the producers told me that they had been looking for a collaborator for the past few years, but never found anyone that could produce the kind of music they were looking for. Luckily, this year, they found me!! :-)

Anyway, I wrote several pieces for the show. Basically, we ended up with a theme and variation, which worked well.

OK, so about the music...

...the show is basically about a woman who lives in two realities. The first one, is actual reality, complete with her husband of many years. Try as they might, they never had a child.

The second reality was one the the woman made up in her mind. In this reality, she was a woman named Sonia and she had a little boy.

In real reality, there is now sound. In the alternate reality there is always a weird ambient sound going on underneath. When you listen to the cue "Sonia's Song" you'll hear it at the very beginning and throughout the piece.

The show was written using Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio 6XL

Sonia's Opening

This cue is some strange ambient sounds that I put together. On this track, I used Cakewalk's Dimension and Rapture.

Sonia's World

We had some trial and error at the beginning of the project. It basically boiled down to the fact that the director wasn't sure what kind of music he wanted. So, I put together this cue using Dimension, Rapture and GPO. It's strange and errie. The producer's said that it was extremely creepy and we eventually decided to go a different direction. I've posted it here just to be complete.

Sonia's Song

This is the cue where you will here all the weird ambient noise underneath the actual music. This piece provided a bit of a problem for me becuase the director had said that he didn't want the music to be chaotic. I had a hard time trying to figure out a way to write original music about a ground that was moving and had a meter of it's own without chaos ensueing. Eventually, I had the bright idea of building the music directly from the ambient noise. After playing with it a bit, I discovered the noise's key and meter. The rest came pretty easy after that. This is written with GPO, exclusively.

Sonia's Lullaby

This last cue is a very sober monment. In the play, the woman realizes that she has been living in a dream world and that her husband had left her in the real world. It's a variation of the theme from Sonia's Song. Once again, it is done exclusively with GPO.

I hope you guys enjoy listening to these. I would appreciate any comments or feedback. It was a fun project to do.

Have a good day,
    Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Re: Sonia and Bubek Theater Music by Jonny Lost

Jonny,

I'm on a short clock today - just listened to the last movement: quite lovely, sad, and touching. I hope to have time to catch the rest in a couple of days.

All the best.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Ron,

How's it going man? Thanks for the response. I hope you like the other cues.

Jonny

By the way, how's the musical coming?

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Sounds like quite an interesting play!

Sonia's Lullaby was beautiful, and sounds perfect for quite a sad realization. I love your use of the celesta!

In Sonia's Song, there's some kind of weird scratchy noise in the background... it might be just me, but it's really distracting...

Sonia's World creepy? I guess the producer hasn't watched many science fiction films. I rather liked it!

Great work!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

great job man. i must say, i am truly jealous. i have always wanted to write music for some sort of event, but it looks like you nailed this one and you truly deserved the opportunity. i liked the opening piece a lot - very mysterious, and the lullaby had some great moments. thanks for sharing.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Sean and Keith,

Thanks for the responses. That crackling sound is part of the ambient noise that the director wanted. I tried my hardest to take it out, but when I did, he realized it. Don't worry, it's not too bad after you listen to it for awhile!! :-) I guess you just get used to it.

It was a cool experience. If you ever get the chance, take advantage of it.

Have a good day,
    Jonny

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Lost
    That crackling sound is part of the ambient noise that the director wanted. I tried my hardest to take it out, but when I did, he realized it. Don't worry, it's not too bad after you listen to it for awhile!! :-) I guess you just get used to it.
    Ha! Those directors!

Of course, it probably sounds different when you're focusing on the motions of actors and actresses in a play.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

A fascinating theatrical concept with which to be involved;
    and some great work on the soundscaping aspects of this,
    Jonny.

Sonia's Lullaby is quite lovely!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Jonny,

Wow. THAT is some excellent music. I loved the minimalistic approach to "Sonia's World" and "Sonia's Song."

The ambient / sound design aspects are awesome. I really really loved listening to these. There is an organic feel between the orchestal instruments and the ambient elements.

I am glad you did this and shared with us. It is neat to get to listen to stuff that you NEVER would get a chance to hear otherwise - unless we were able to attend the performances of the play. What an ambitious and challenging project. Your choices of music for the two different sides makes absolute sense and are perfect.

Great job on these!

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Jonny,

Congratulations again on the commission.

Excellent and imaginitive work. The surreal ambient effects are terrific and I like the creative blend with the orchestration.

This is a fascinating project and wish you well with it. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Gary

Go Back to forum