• Register
  • Help

Topic: school band arrangements

Share/Bookmark

school band arrangements

Hello. I am interested in developing my skills as a concert band/wind ensemble arranger. I have done a lot of jazz pieces but not band. Is this course the right direction for me or is there some books anyone can recommend? Thanks

Re: school band arrangements

Quote Originally Posted by pete lewis
    Hello. I am interested in developing my skills as a concert band/wind ensemble arranger. I have done a lot of jazz pieces but not band. Is this course the right direction for me or is there some books anyone can recommend? Thanks
    Hi...For wind ensemble, consider these:

*Arranging for the Concert Band--Frank Erickson
    *Music Arranging and Orchestration--John Cacavas

These texts have a bit of age, but they do address themselves well to matters of band/wind ensemble.

The RK course is generally useful...go ahead and work through it, but it does deal with all them goofy violas, etc.

Other advice: Get band scores you like & study them. Good place to start would be the Holst Suites. Also Persichetti Divertimento, etc.

And, of course, get the band library when it comes out.

Someplace here you can find mockups of 2 movements of the Holst 2nd Suite I did using GPO, JABB, and Finale GPO. Good learning experience for me to look at textures, doublings, chord voicing, etc.

Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Go Back to forum