• Register
  • Help

Topic: Midi controller use

Share/Bookmark

Question Midi controller use

Hi:

Is anyone familiar with the Behringer BCF2000 controller. I am wondering about using it through SONAR 6 to simplify mixing chores as well as, perhaps use of GPO and JABB. It seems to have a lot of flexibility. Also with the new ACT technology in SONAR 6 it seems that it might be useful. Is anyone familiar with this product and how well it functions?

Thanks.

David M.

Re: Midi controller use

I considered buying one of these David but plumped for the Tascam FW-1884 which gives me a firewire sound card as well as the rotary controls and faders. The BCF2000 will have instructions for setting any cc to any control pot to match the midi input effects on the samples. Here is how I do it with the 16 pots on my Controller Keyboard for GPO & JABB.
    I hope this helps.

Ray

www.rayinstirling.net

Ray:

Thanks for the response. I've been trying to decide whrther to pay more for the Tascam - but I already have two echo sound cards which seem to be serving my needs. It sounds ,though, as if a controller would be helpful.

It may be that I can set up the KX88 that I use to manage most of these functions.

Thanks again for the response.

David

If you use thie BCF2000 for only sending data to the sequencer and are not trying to make the faders update during playback it works fine.

However, if you are planning to use it to record, have the faders respond and then update the automation, it doesn't work well with Sonar.

I bought one for Sonar 4 and it does ok on the first pass of a mix. But, does not do well on overwrites. From what I remember, if you are not constantly moving the fader during the overwrite, the cc data previously recorded starts to move the fader placing the operator in a tug of war with the automation.

A very ugly battle that takes the fun out of mixing. If you erase the recorded automation in the timeline where you are planning to rewite, it should work.

Since the faders are not truly touch sensitive, Sonar or Behringer needs to implement an overwrite mode that stays engaged until the play/record stops or via a footswitch or button.

You get what you pay for I guess. I'm getting ready to post my BCF2000 on Craigslist.
    Bosco Adama

Quote Originally Posted by Bosco Adama
    If you use thie BCF2000 for only sending data to the sequencer and are not trying to make the faders update during playback it works fine.

However, if you are planning to use it to record, have the faders respond and then update the automation, it doesn't work well with Sonar.

I bought one for Sonar 4 and it does ok on the first pass of a mix. But, does not do well on overwrites. From what I remember, if you are not constantly moving the fader during the overwrite, the cc data previously recorded starts to move the fader placing the operator in a tug of war with the automation.

A very ugly battle that takes the fun out of mixing. If you erase the recorded automation in the timeline where you are planning to rewite, it should work.

Since the faders are not truly touch sensitive, Sonar or Behringer needs to implement an overwrite mode that stays engaged until the play/record stops or via a footswitch or button.

You get what you pay for I guess. I'm getting ready to post my BCF2000 on Craigslist.
    Yes I do the same in Cubase when overwriting, I delete the original and redo real time through the track.

Thanks for the information. Sounds as though the usefulness of these is suspect.

David M.

David,
    One major issue the Tascam solved for me was in latency.
    No matter how high you set it to prevent gliching in the DAW there is no delay on playing samples real time on the keyboard. I used a M Audio Delta 1010 LT before and couldn't do that.

Ray

Go Back to forum