• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Ease of use on the gof and strad Libraries

Share/Bookmark

Ease of use on the gof and strad Libraries

ok guys, i've heard enough examples and they have finally convinced me to get the strad and gof solo libraries, but my only concern is how hard are they to use. am i going to have to do all my writing by actually playing the lines (i don't really mind that) or will i be able to write them and tweak afterwards (which i also don't mind). i've heard some great examples and they all sound totally real, but i'm worried that i'm too dumb to make them sound that way. anyway, can anyone who owns these give me some advice or pointers or anything. thanks.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Re: Ease of use on the gof and strad Libraries

Quick answer.. play then tweak!
    The live playing should come out sounding nicely real anyways..and then the tweaking will make you sound like you had played it like that in the first place!
    Cubase 5.1 | Cubase 4.5.2 | Digital Performer 7.0 | Mac OSX 10.5.8 || Mac "MDD" dual 1GB | 1.75GB RAM | MOTU PCI-424/2408mk3 | MOTU MidiTimepice AV

I'm with Vic!

Dan

I have the Gofriller, and I am not a pro musician or sequencer, just a string player. I love playing it live, and have a special setup that I use a controller (mouse) to control both vibrato parameters and the expression, as well as some keyswitches - that helps me a lot. I am finding the instument more and more playable live - it is so beautiful and responsive. I am not all that much a multi-tasker either.

Of course, I agree that tweaking fixes mistakes as well as gets it precisely the way you want it to sound. I just don't have too much time or patience for that myself. But for something important I would do it if I needed to...

ok, so from everything I'm reading about the strad and gopher, they're not for me. I do NOT play anything "live". I use Finale and notation ONLY for all my recordings. I very HEAVILY rely on Robert P.'s brilliant HumanPlayback plugin for Finale understanding my detailed scores.

Guess I'll stick to regular GPO... and keep my fingers crossed for GPOA.

I think Robert is working on HP parameters for Strad, Gofriller, and GPO K2, so you might not be shot out of luck yet

so about qccowboy's comment on this looking like its only good for playing the music - is that what you guys who already own them think? or is it still great for those of us who strictly notate then do editing to get the sound we want?

and thanks for the feedback so far.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

I think you can do a great job with notation as long as you then follow it up with moving, shortening, lengthening, changing velocity levels etc. in a DAW.
    A score will always be an abbreviation no matter how much info you put on it. I'm a guitarist so I would say this wouldn't I.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by rayzalaf
    I think you can do a great job with notation as long as you then follow it up with moving, shortening, lengthening, changing velocity levels etc. in a DAW.
    A score will always be an abbreviation no matter how much info you put on it. I'm a guitarist so I would say this wouldn't I.

Ray
    I have yet to do more than the occassional "tweak" of MIDI data in any of my scores to get the playback that I want. In msot cases, I can achieve exactly the effect I want simply through notation, and a few judiciously placed "invisible" (ie: non-printing) expressions or articulations.

Maybe this doesn't work for all types of music, but so far it hasn't failed me for the symphonic scores I work on, nor for the chamber music I've done.

The HumanPlayback plugin in Finale is pretty amazing with note lengths and variations of dynamics. Robert P. has done an incredible job with it. I've found that most people who bitch and complain about HP have either been using it in the wrong way, or have been giving it bare nekid scores with nothing to actually "play back". Obviously, there are limits to it. It is far from the perfection of a live recording. But it's not meant to be, either.

I've heard scores rendered in Finale that do more than stand up to scores that were prepared using a DAW.

Robert P. has already put in the Strad & Gofriller programming into 2007c. So Finale will treat it differently than it will the regular GPO violins. In my opinion, it is worth the investment in getting these libraries. Obviously you'll get more expression if you work with these solo instruments in a DAW, but just using Finale & Strad will get you a better performance than using Finale & a GPO solo violin.

Jeff

Go Back to forum