• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mod Wheel and Volume

Mod Wheel and Volume

Is there any way to get the modwheel set so it doesn't have to be raised everytime you want to listen to the expressive instruments (trumpet, sax, et al)? I have tried the options: uncheck cc7 and cc12 for volume and ?
    I then set a volume at the beginning with cc7 and a volume level. I still have to move the slider up to get the sound of the instrument. I am using Sonar HS 6XL and midi files created with Finale '07.

I know I have seen this thread here but have never gotten a difinitive answer. (Oh, yes, I have restarted JABB after changing the options!)
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: Mod Wheel and Volume

The definitive answer:

1. cc7 establishes the static, relative volume between instruments. It should never be used for expressive changes in volume. With the cc7/cc10 option disabled in the player, the static volume is set with the volume knob in the player. With the cc7/cc10 option enabled you can set the level with cc7 data in your tracks (keep the values modest, generally use about 60 as a starting point.)

2. Mod wheel is the control for expressive volume changes. It is analogous to blowing air through a wind instrument or drawing the bow across a stringed instrument. You must place cc1 data in your tracks to bring the volume up. A single piece of cc1 data placed at the very beginning of each track and set to a modest value will give you a medium level out of the instrument. Keep in mind that mod wheel data is intended to be continuous, shaping the ebb and flow of the phrasing. So, done correctly, there should be almost constant cc1 data in your tracks. I've said it before: Mod wheel is not a "set and forget" control.

The new K2 player will load instruments at a predetermined default value (that can be modified by the user) but the present K1.5 player does not have that ability - the data must be in your tracks.

Thanks Tom, that makes it a lot clearer. As you may have guessed I am very new to using Midi controls to shape the music. I am learning slowly, just need a push in the right direction from time to time. Thanks again.

Challenge #10 Winner

It worked geat Tom, I wish there was somewhere I could learn more!

Challenge #10 Winner

Well, I'll try to answer any questions you have but now that we *almost* have the K2 player the long-promised tutorials will soon begin to be prepared. It made little sense to do them until the new player was released. The tutorials should become an excellent source of information if all goes well. They will be video tutorials which should make the explanations easier to understand. I will probably begin those in mid May (assuming NI gets the problems with the player solved by then.)

And Bill--Here's something that will make your life with Sonar Much easier.

In the Optiong>Project Options window, click on MIDI out, and UN-check the "zero controllers" option. With that active, checked, it will return your cc1 volume control to zero every time you stop play back while working. With it un-checked, the volume will remain at your most current value.

You Gotta do that--Less pulling out of hair.

Randy B.

Go Back to forum