• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: time already for--Orchestration Challenge #12 - !

Share/Bookmark

time already for--Orchestration Challenge #12 - !

Winning Orchestration Challenge #11 was a wonderful surprise for me. All of the entries were so compelling. After my fiance and I listened to them all, we turned to each other and shrugged in amazement--We thought they were all wonderful, and our natural prejudice for my own entry was brushed aside. We certainly didn't assume I'd be getting the most votes, and we wanted the rules to change so that everyone could come in first.

But the contest is over, and the torch was handed to me. Thank you, everyone who listened to all the entries, and of course I want to especially thank those of you who voted for my contribution.

And now I wave my hand over the flame, change its color, and pass the torch on--in the form of a new musical theme for everyone to try their hand at arranging.

EVERYONE JOIN IN!--It would be so great if absolutely every last person who is a member of this Forum would submit an arrangement. A few hours of bliss in your studio, and you'd have your own unique contribution to this event, and it would be a tremendous boost in energy for the Forum and for all of us as individuals.

Here's a theme in the Whole Tone Scale for you to work on.

MIDI FILE LINK
    http://rbowser.tripod.com/12.mid

As far as I'm concerned, you should feel free to do Anything with it that occurs to you. Invert it, retrograde it, change the key, the time, the tempo, the note values, repeat some notes before moving on to the next group etc--as long as the theme as published on this thread is recognizable at least once during your arrangement.

According to Sean's Challenge FAQ, the piece should be approximately two minutes in length, and use any combination of Garritan library instruments you wish.

NOTE: This motif was put together specifically for this orchestration challenge. It's new to me, and new to you--I haven't based any composition on this, I've never arranged it--It's all fresh and ready for your individual talents to shape it.

I'll be arranging for Sean to receive and host the MP3s as he usually does. Information regarding that will be posted later.

Fire up your computers and get started!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Re: time already for--Orchestration Challenge #12 - !

no not already Randy

Great theme!

The submission email will be seanthebest@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by rayzalaf
    no not already Randy
    Usually the deadlines allow 5-6 weeks... is that not enough?
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

very whole-toney. this one might be difficult. but i think i might be up for the challenge
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Congrats Randy, and thanks to all the entrants and wrayer, all of them are great listening.

Very nice score you have here to work with!

David

You know what, this looks like fun. Hey Randy, a challenge worthy of pursuing. Forgive me, I am not wearing my glasses. Hard to see what I am saying. You must check your caplocks! or is it cAPlOCKS?
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Thanks for your help, Sean--and glad you like the theme I wrote for this challenge. Whole Tones--interesting possibilities with that scale.

Keith--Go for it! Remember, there's absolutely no "right" way to develop this theme. I suppose to be strict with one's music theory, only whole tones would be used in an arrangement--But I wouldn't stick to that.

David/Leaf--Glad you're also finding the new challenge interesting. I'm really looking forward to hearing everyone's entries with this.

Bill/Wrayer--bestower of the challenge Roberto and the rest of us worked with last time. I certainly hope you do this one---And, you mean you didn't like the captioning on my screen shot? tHAT WAS MEANT TO BE ALL aRTSY--yA kNOW?--Maybe like in music where something you expect to be played LOUDLY is suddenly soft instead, and something expected to be soft is instead suddenly LOUD.

hAVE FUN EVERYONE!

rANDY
    (RBOWSER)

How's May 6th for a deadline?
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

I'm 1min 30 secs in already

What's a whole tone anyway?

Who cares I'll just kid on I know

Ray, you know you keep me off balance with your wry humor--SO, I'm not sure if your post was an actual question. But it makes me realize that it was probably dumb of me not to explain what the Whole Tone Scale is, since it isn't exactly a commonly used scale.

Simplicity itself really--What I posted is in the key of C, except that it doesn't seem like C, since it's in this Whole Tone Scale which goes from C to C all in full steps. So the Scale is spelled:

C - D - E - F# - G# - A# - C

That's all there is toot.

Now--Who in the heck came up with THat weirdness-??

Randy
    (rbowser)

Go Back to forum