• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Prizes for Listening in the Listening Room

Orcas Island

Prizes for Listening in the Listening Room

The Listening Room has grown to be one of the most active sections of the forum. It seems some spend a great deal of time listening and helping others and those people should be reconized too.

What would you think about offering prizes for our best listeners?

Perhaps we can vote every so often to see who has been the best listeners - who has offered the most helpful and contructive critiques and suggestions.

The best listener would get a free library.

Would you be in favor of this?

Gary Garritan

Dallas, TX

Thumbs up Re: Prizes for Listening in the Listening Room

Great idea! A few listeners/posters come to mind. I won't mention their names since they now may be in the running to win a prize, but their frequency and consistancy in being so encouraging and offering great tips & advice is very generous of their time and deserving of recognition, IMO.

Re: Prizes for Listening in the Listening Room

i don't think anyone would be against that. the free library would be great, but the fact that it would encourage more "active" listening would be a huge benefit for everyone, because thats what people need to develop their sound. its hard for someone to be objective when it comes to their own music because you hear what you want to hear, and you need someone with a fresh perspective to make you achieve having others hear what it is that you hear. i don't know if that makes sense, i just hear a whole bunch. but anyway, i think anything that encourages listening is a great idea (because don't we all want others to hear our music?)
    -Keith Fuller

iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

This is an interesting idea Gary.

I think it is only fair to warn you, you should start making up a big crate, and put every library you have ever made in it, and send it over to the mountain where etLux lives.

He is an example to us all.

I try to comment on every piece I listen to, and I think it is a pity that more people dont make the small effort required to post a small note of acknowledgement.

Although the tone of comments in the Listening room, is overwhelmingly positive, I have recieved real benefit from helpful criticism here too.

One of the first pieces I posted was a Flute Sonata and our own Larry G Alexander and Slava gave me useful tips on how to improve the flute sound.
    DpDan took the trouble to pm me over a troublesome mix, and my work improved a lot.

The fact that these kind-hearted gentlemen took the pains to help out a Newbie, has had an incalculable influence on my life.

I realise that not everyone will like what I do, I dont like every piece I hear either ( There..... I have said it. )
    But while I have enjoyed basking in some praise, I have also learnt useful things from people who were less than delighted with my offerings.

I am not offering carte blanche for character assasination, or childishly posting " It Sucks" type criticism. But, friendly and specific pointers can be just as much use as a "Well Done" or a "Bravo".

If your inducements help to increase the number of replies in the listening room, I think many here would be grateful.

regards Joe

Quote Originally Posted by joaz

I think it is only fair to warn you, you should start making up a big crate,
    and put every library you have ever made in it, and send it over to the
    mountain where etLux lives.

That's so very kind of you to say, my friend!

However, for the record:

I would respectfully decline to be considered,
    were the matter to ever arise.

The rewards of listening to all of the great
    work going on in the Listening Room are already
    more than ample for me!

My best,

It's a great idea and I would hope it would bring more constructive criticism to the listening room.

And, I agree with Joaz that David (et lux) is probably the most helpful, consistent listener we have ever had. Additionally, for him to decline any kind of prize makes him, in my opinion, GREATER than GREAT.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Mr. Sosnowski is the best candidate, hands-down.
    He has been the most prolific and constructive commentator I have seen for at least as long as I have been on the board. His comments have always been encouraging and helpful to those of us who have submitted our work. I for one, appreciate it beyond words.

I vote you send him the crate anyways.

Smile Re: Prizes for Listening in the Listening Room

I can't add anything to the comments made about David. The amount of time he takes to contribute is mind boggling.

Sorry David, I know you would rather not win a prize for your efforts. However, good things always come around and I think you are more than deserving. If you are the winner take it as a sign of good karma and enjoy!

We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

I think it is a great idea!

I learn so much listening to the feedback of some of the "greats" here. I agree with all the comments about David (etlux). He gives positve and constructive feedback that helps people improve. I also enjoy Roberto's (oldbob) and Joe's (Joaz) comments as well. Actually there are several others that leave wonderful comments on a regular basis, but I can't recall them at the moment...

Sounds like I shall probably be a lone voice here but I have reservations with awarding a prize for 'best' listeners.

I feel the possibilities of people going into the listening room for the wrong reasons; to bump up posts to win a library and in doing that posting insincere or meaningless comments.

I would like to categorically say that my feelings on this are in no way whatsoever aimed at any particular member/s or post/s, this is purely my view.

I think it might be different if Gary were to periodically reward a prolific listener who has offered constructive, supporting comments as recognition of their time and efforts. Names worthy of this recognition have already been mentioned and congratulations to you for your well-deserved mention. I do see a subtle difference between this and the offer of a 'prize' for the 'best'. The latter is a competition and the former is recognition on behalf of the community. I realise, of course, this is just my opinion.

Regarding incentives to add to those who listen and comment, another possibility is that a member must have listened to and commented on three (or insert your own number) members' works before being able to post a work of their own. I realise that we could still have the situation with people posting and commenting just to notch up enough to post a work but it seems to me that whatever is put in place this is likely to happen.

Anyway, just my own thoughts
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Go Back to forum