• Register
  • Help

Topic: Plunger Mute

Share/Bookmark

Plunger Mute

I've included an example of the plunger mute in action (with the addition of the flutter tongue/growl.) This example uses the plunger trumpet but the principles are the same for the trombone. Here's the mp3: www.garritan.com/JABB/Plunger_mute/TrumpetPlungerGrowl.mp3 Here's the MIDI file of the data: www.garritan.com/JABB/Plunger_mute/TrumpetPlungerGrowl.mid

1. Mod Wheel data (CC#1) controls the expressive volume of the instrument. See screenshot: www.garritan.com/JABB/Plunger_mute/PlungerMW.jpg The screenshot shows the MIDI notes in the upper part of the piano roll screen and the mod wheel data in the lower portion of the screen. The MIDI data at the lower part of the screen is aligned with the note data above.

2. CC#16 controls the plunger. A value of 127 is open horn (no plunger.) As the value is lowered the plunger closes. As with a real plunger the pitch goes slightly flat as the plunger closes. See screenshot: www.garritan.com/JABB/Plunger_mute/PlungerCC16.jpg Observe the data as it moves from open to closed, back to open, etc. The data controls the "hand" that opens and closes the mute against the bell of the instrument.

3. CC#18 controls the flutter tongue/growl and is used in two places in this example. See screenshot: www.garritan.com/JABB/Plunger_mute/PlungerCC18.jpg Notice that the growl is eased into the notes.

4. Aftertouch controls the intensity of the vibrato. See screenshot: www.garritan.com/JABB/Plunger_mute/PlungerAT.jpg The speed of the vibrato has been set with cc#17 data near the beginning of the track (not visible in this screenshot.)

The new K2 version of JABB will include some improved features for the plunger mutes. MW will add standard changes in timbre to its volume control and a new combination straight mute/plunger will be added. The K2 player will also load the instruments with the plunger open as the default.

Tom

Re: Plunger Mute

This is cool Tom!

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins

The new K2 version of JABB will include some improved features for the plunger mutes. MW will add standard changes in timbre to its volume control and a new combination straight mute/plunger will be added. The K2 player will also load the instruments with the plunger open as the default.

Tom
    Which we will get one day

Quote Originally Posted by KeithW
    Which we will get one day
    Well, when we do, you be sure and let me know, OK? I figure that when it actually arrives in working order I might write it off as some kind of delusionary episode on my part.

Tom

Heyyyy Tom,

very coool!

Best regards and further sooo
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Thanks much for this, Tom.

The screen shots were clear and easy to understand, as compared to earlier tutorial screen shots where the controller data is somehow superimposed on top of the notes in a piano roll view--?--I've never understood how those more jumbled views were done--I guess that's the way that editing window looks in some apps other than Sonar--?

rbowser

Hi guys,

I thought I'd let you know the mp3 is down.

--Richard

The mp3 must be back up. I just accessed it!

Great tutorial as usual, Tom. Thank you!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Links are broken..

Go Back to forum