• Register
  • Help

Topic: GS3 memory question PC3300 vs. PC2700

Share/Bookmark

GS3 memory question PC3300 vs. PC2700

My PC guy tells me that there is no difference in system performance with PC3200 (400MHZ) and PC2700 (333MHZ) RAM. Is this true?

He wants me to trade out a few SIMMS with him and run my system with 2 512MB sticks and 1 1MB stick of PC2700, for a total of 2MB.

My other alternative would be to buy 2 1MB sticks of PC3200 RAM.

He says that "Tom's Hardware" have tested systems with different RAM speeds and found that it doesn't impact system performance. I wonder if that's also true with GS?

Re: GS3 memory question PC3300 vs. PC2700

Different RAM doesn't affect performance alone, but it can allow you to overclock the system, or run with more margins (and, hence, stability) at normal clock rates.

The worry I might have would be if your motherboard supports a 1 GB stick and two 512M sticks. Mine doesn't. Check your manual. Also, you need matched pairs to run dual channel memory. That solution doesn't provide matched pairs.

Two 1 GB sticks is best, if you can afford them. I recently bought these: http://shop1.outpost.com/product/461...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

They have nice, fast timing (2-3-2-5), and have proven to be solid.

Re: GS3 memory question PC3300 vs. PC2700

Quote Originally Posted by jetplane
    My PC guy tells me that there is no difference in system performance with PC3200 (400MHZ) and PC2700 (333MHZ) RAM. Is this true?

He wants me to trade out a few SIMMS with him and run my system with 2 512MB sticks and 1 1MB stick of PC2700, for a total of 2MB.

My other alternative would be to buy 2 1MB sticks of PC3200 RAM.

He says that "Tom's Hardware" have tested systems with different RAM speeds and found that it doesn't impact system performance. I wonder if that's also true with GS?
    You failed to mention the motherboard you are using. If the latency timings are different then your system will use the slowest.

It would be best to go with matcing pair of one GB each.

Go Back to forum