• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: TruePianos

Share/Bookmark

TruePianos

I just want to say that I recently picked up 4Front's TruePianos VSTi and I'm pretty impressed with it. Its not as good as Ivory, but its pretty remarkable sounding considering it uses almost no space on my laptop. It is becoming my goto piano sound for quick sketches. The price was also right. I was a jamstix owner so I got it for $129.
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Re: TruePianos

Why just for rough drafts? I find that if I adjust the velocity threshold, the keyboard dynamics, and the release, I can get a lot of different sounds.

Well no, mainly I got it for live gigging purposes on my laptop. But I've been using it also as a quick plugin to pull up for piano tracks and I've been quit impressed with the sound quality. Like someone else said somewhere, it sounds better on playback then when I'm actually playing it, don't ask me why. Maybe I can hear the detail better or something. But anyway, I suspect this will get used on a lot more tracks than I thought when I bought it. I still plan on getting Ivory. I've played it and its truly a joy to play. I also have a Kawai MP9000 which is easy to flip on and play when I want, and though the sound is, I would say, A little more even sounding across the keyboard and somehow more consistent than TruePianos, it also sounds wimpy in comparison on the big chords.
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

I have the demo, and it is going to be a must-have. I actually like it better than Ivory...it has such a nice crisp sound and works really well in a mix. Also, I can set my sound card to lowest latency settings, and the playability factor is wonderful. It responds much like my P-250, and does not have the sluggish feel of many of the piano sample libraries I have.

One thing I had problems with, however, was that many of the presets seemed to have a certain amount of reverb or ambience, and there was no way to remove it. Is this a limitation of the demo? Seems to me that parameter would be essential for the user to control.

I'm not hearing ambience. Check your setup and make sure you aren't sending duplicate notes to TruePianos, which might be creating a bit of flanging.

You know, I think it was the string resonance thing I was hearing. I turned it off, and now it sounds dry.

Hi,

just played it !

Nice sound (much better than Pianoteq), nice feature.

But this piano haven't a real sympatic resonance. (Pianoteq have this feature).

they wrote "sympatic resonance ".

But where ?

It's only a resonance pedal down .....

Where are the rules "pedal up" when some keys are undampered.....

I still wait the Garritan's Steinway virtual Piano

A dream :

The sound of TruePianos + the features of Pianoteq : perfect piano

Thumbs up Re: TruePianos

Man, I now own more pianos than I ever thought I would in my lifetime but I have to step in and give Truepianos a thumb's up. I keep coming back to Truepianos because it loads in a flash and sounds surprisingly good. Especially most of the Diamond pianos; I'm really not impressed with the Emerald pianos. I can't wait to try out the next version with "timbre morphing" (a sample was posted on KVR).

Someone has commented on how well it cuts it live and though I haven't tried it yet, the presence of this piano certainly feels like it would. And it's just fantastic not to have to depend on disk streaming for sound production, especially in a live context.

BTW: I tried the Pianotek piano (2.0) and it's also very good, but definitely more delicate in texture; I think it's smoother and less in-your-face than Truepianos. Perhaps each does have a niche after all...

u

One thing I've learned from the PianoTeq forum is that PianoTeq sounds less delicate if you move the Dynamics slider to about 30-40, which raises the volume of soft velocities. The same setting is available in TruePiano, but called the Velocity Floor, which raises the amplitude floor of the soft velocities. Excellent for keyboards that have a somewhat hard response, but also very good for any keyboard, since the feature lets you play softly, but still hear the soft notes.

I've also found, again through the PianoTeq forum, another program, called Pianotuner that lets one adjust the velocity scaling of a keyboard note by note, giving one even more control of the timbre of each key. It's a midi program that requires midiyoke and takes a minute to set up, but well worth the time. It's freeware available at:
    http://users.belgacom.net/gc813607/index.html

(Come to think of it, I'll post information in a separate note in the piano forum.)

Thanks for that. There is also this one:

http://www.trombettworks.com/velocity.php

And this is one that supposedly runs as a VST plugin, so with the right host you might be able to avoid midi yoke

http://platinumears.com/VelocityCurveSM.rar

Go Back to forum