• Register
  • Help

Topic: MIDI Controller for the new SOLO Libraries

Share/Bookmark

MIDI Controller for the new SOLO Libraries

I saw that there was a post on this in the Strad/Grof Section, but nobody really answered the main question of what MIDI controller is good for the Strad and Grof?

right now i have an Axiom 25 (which is super awesome by the way) and a Roland XP-30. I have the Axiom right in front of my computer, because i don't have space for a big one, which i use to play simple lines and control all the buttons in Logic. The Roland sits off to the side which i just use for playing around or recording lines that need a bigger range than 25 notes. I am going to tget the 2 new solo libraries but i want to know what midi controller i should get. I'd like something with at least 61 keys, and i don't need anything with complex controls (cause it will be hooked up to my Axiom 25 which already has all of them), but i have NO IDEA what to get.

i guess it will have to have a good feel, aftertouch (i think the solo libraries require that don't they?), pitch bend and modulation controls, and inputs for sustain and expression, and finally midi cable outputs so i can run it through my Axiom. I don't need anything with sounds or control knobs, just the keyboard.

So, my question is, what do you guys recommend i get? Thanks for reading this long boring post by the way.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Re: MIDI Controller for the new SOLO Libraries

Keith,

The use of controllers can be such a personal preference. Some like the feel of certain models and others lhave different preferences. Some like weighted, some non-weighted, some wind controllers. CME controllers I find are very good with our libraries. Just make sure it has a mod wheel, pitch wheel, sustain, expression pedal, and some other basic controllers. Why won't the Roland and Axiom you have not work? Try some out at your local music store and see what feels right. Hope this helps.

Gary

Re: MIDI Controller for the new SOLO Libraries

my roland won't work because it doesn't have a mod wheel, which is a little weird seeing as it has EVERYTHING else. the axiom 61 will work great, but i don't want to spend all the money for the features that i won't use because i already have an axiom 25 that my new controller will run through. also, i thought it needs aftertouch to get the vibrato? anyway, thanks for the response and i will definitely check out the CME ones.

ps. i am looking forward to using the new libraries.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Go Back to forum