• Register
  • Help

Topic: Memory problems please help

Memory problems please help

My Giga machine failed and I had to get a new one built. Of course that always happens at the worst time.

Here are my specs:
    Windows XP
    Fully optimized as per Tascam recommendations
    Giga 3.21 (latest version)
    Intel Core Duo
    6600 2.4 GHZ
    2GB RAM
    Asus P5B Deluxe Motherboard
    Geforce 8800 GTX video card
    Mia Sound card

I was getting the all too famous "unknown system error" while loading my setups. First I thought my sample data was corrupted. Calling Tascam support I was suggested to spent the next couple days re-installing my nearly 400GB of samples from the original disks! Gee, good thing I did not listen to that!

The problem is memory related. The default Windows XP gives me only 45% of RAM to load samples which is not enough to load my setups.

Using Preset 2 in Memory Configuration, the test shows the typical 66% of memory usable but I can only load up to about 14% and then I get that same error message. The Preset 3 and 4 crashes my PC.
    Anybody ever had that problem? Are there any tweaks I could do manually?
    I thought if anything a spanking new fast PC would give me more but I have no idea how to fix this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Memory problems please help

If you're getting crashes on that machine, I recommend downloading Prime95 and hammering it overnight. It might be that your motherboard timings are too fast for your RAM. If Prime95 crashes it, slow your timing in the BIOS and try again, until it becomes stable.

Also, make sure all of your drivers are up to date.

Learn about Prime95 here:

Download it here:

Go Back to forum