• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: And Here comes PLAY

Share/Bookmark

And Here comes PLAY

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shownews.cfm?newsid=4556

I know that they no longer are on here yea whatever...This is really interesting not only for the sound but the playability of the samples, is this the future of Samples ? It's almost like the Stradivari when it comes to being able to play the sampels.
    Well a lot of people might have not seen this yet so with out further Adoo PLAY
    LOL!
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

Re: And Here comes PLAY

I dunno. I just watched the whole video and wasn't impressed with the playability, but then again it must be hard in that environment to play cleanly. The vocal patches, guitar, and bass just didn't sound like they blended properly between notes.

Perhaps this will be a landmark sample engine, but I'll wait hear what users think.

To date, I've been most impressed with the playability of VSL's new engine and Garritan's strad. I also can't wait to hear what Garritan's forthcoming engine will do! I also dig the playability of Trilogy for bass.
    I remain solely responsible for the content of my messages, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless northern sound source, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of my message(s). Rock on.

It seems like the new Garritan engine is similar to the AudioImpression's DVZ technology where you can select an instrument, put it in a virtual space and play as an ensemble. Hopefully Garritan's engine will include many of the features that DVZ offers.

I am totally not impressed that's why I posted it you think I would post this on there forum LOL! I just not impressed with the Legato that's all or voices of passion playing at all either . But Gypsy and Storm Drum2 sound Fantastic!

It does't really strike me as VI style approach.
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

I'm sure the new libraries will be excellent in many ways. It wouldnt really be fair to try to judge them from the video for many reasons including relatively poor audio, background noise, and trying to perform on nerves stretched taught over months of preperation for this first official unvailing. I will be more interested in what the official demos reveal as far as potential. Other than the Strad and Gofriller, I'm writing off VI's as being super "playable" in realtime. Hopefully things will get better but to me, the truth is that you have to really roll up your sleeves and get down and dirty with cc1,7,11,and others in the edit screens of your sequencer to get things sounding natural and still play to the strengths of your particular libraries. I agree that Voices and the electric guitar dont sound that "playable" to me but I'm sure that they can probably sound phenominal in the right context with a little tlc. Those guys DO make some killer libs over there. I wish them much success with this new wave of libraries. Just my $.02.

Eric

Well new products, new player, new sampler, 64-bit it all sounds miraculous tbh. I mean it is a great new era (:P).

Just that EW is not well known for the playability of their products, No product I know or own is playable realtime. not by a million. Symphonic orchestra, The choirs, Stromdrum, Colossus... Nope. which makes me a little skeptical over the playability of the new libraries. Other developers have their hands and knees on playability (for example the strad is a miracle in playability. One patch, everything with keyswitches and foot controller/mod wheel), but not EW so far.

May this change with PLAY.

Note, I don't have a midi controler or keyboard in my home/studio, so I don't care about playability. Just joining the thread...

Stormdrum2 sounds beautiful. Especially all of the hardcore electronic stuff and the big ensembles. I liked the sound of the bass in Ministry of Rock. The Voices of Passion is where they lost me though. The Bulgarian singer did not sound natural. I hate to say it but it reminded me of Vocaloid. I wonder if these sounds will outdate themselves rather quickly as there seems to be a lot of canned phrases that, once you hear them a few times, will become obvious after a while.

Still it's great to see these guys coming out with new stuff that isn't a rehash of a lot of existing libs out there. Nick Phoenix seems to have a dream job!

2 cents,

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

I think it has potential. However I already have a ton of fine samples such as Acoustik Piano, DIVA collection (Bela D Medai), Lyrical Distortion, Scarbee Bass, etc. and have just barely scratched the surface with what I already have. Plus I have Kontakt 2 with the instrument bank fetaure for my articulartions. Thus I have no real incentive for the newest Play libraries at this time. Can't justify spending more money when what I have is pretty darn good to begin with.
    P4 3.0, 2 gig ram, nvidia 6800gt, 3 SATA drives, EMU-1820M, UAD-1, Studiologic SL-110, Mackie Universal Controller, Behringer Truth B2031A, Cubase SX3, Kontakt2, EWQL Gold, EWQL Choirs, EWQL Collosus, NI Akoustik Piano, NI Elektrik Piano, NI B4 II, EZ Drummer, Lyrical Distortion 1+2, Scarbee Bass, Real Guitar2, Atmospheres, Absynth1, GPO

I liked the sounds of the pianos. I'd have to buy a new computer or hard drive to play them though, if I wanted to use the full installation of 250 gigs.

Quote Originally Posted by dpasdernick
    Stormdrum2 sounds beautiful. Especially all of the hardcore electronic stuff and the big ensembles. I liked the sound of the bass in Ministry of Rock. The Voices of Passion is where they lost me though. The Bulgarian singer did not sound natural. I hate to say it but it reminded me of Vocaloid. I wonder if these sounds will outdate themselves rather quickly as there seems to be a lot of canned phrases that, once you hear them a few times, will become obvious after a while.

Still it's great to see these guys coming out with new stuff that isn't a rehash of a lot of existing libs out there. Nick Phoenix seems to have a dream job!

2 cents,

Darren
    Hi Darren,

where do you have heared Stormdrum2 ?

I was at Musikmesse in Frankfurt, have listend there but the hearing there was not an "ohhhhhhh" for me... .
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Go Back to forum