• Register
  • Help

Topic: Can you identify this problem?

Share/Bookmark

Can you identify this problem?

So I'm workin on this mix tonight, when I hear this really insane junk going on...

I'm hoping somebody can explain it. Using some sparse strings and 1 track of 7CG. CPU is at 25% while playing, I get up to 20 voices, so it's not a polyphony problem.

I do use a constant sustain on the piano because that's the sound I want, but the voices don't exceed 20, maybe 24...

Here's an MP3 of the problem

Hope someone can help. Thanks!

Steve K.
    Steven J. Kukla
    Kuklamusic.com

Re: Can you identify this problem?

This may be a shot in the dark, but who knows it might lead to a way of thinking of the problem you haven't so far.
    I had sort of a similar problem once. As I work in my home, an ambitious errorsearch showed that it was actually my fridge compressor turning on and off. This could be heard as this kind of crackles on my headphones. But it was only heard when the compressor turned on or off, which means rather seldom and then only for the duration of .. say 1 second, max.

Another suggestion is to determine if these show up in the same place every time or if they are more or less random. If this is the direct output from playing your samples, meaning you're not playing back recordings, then you are most likely looking at a hardware related issue. For example, Antivirus or other programs that are frequently and intensly uses your hardware may add up to the CPU stress of playing back sample files and the combination of this might cause stress peaks to your processor that doesn't show up in your CPU meter because they last for such a short time.
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Hi Steve.

If you are using a separate Gigapulse intance together with a .gsi that uses both pedal down and release, you have 3 gigapulses running at the same time. GP is a bit of a resource hog.....
    Please try to use the 7CG Jr.gig, that has true releasesamples and pedal down samples and see if it works.
    I can promise you that the artifacts doesn't comes from the samples.
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Thanks for the info, Tomke, I really appreciate it. I'm running GS3 on a separate machine and porting the audio into my daw over ADAT. There's no antivirus anything on either box at the moment. The sounds occur all over the keyboard when I play, not just in one location. They occur with 3% CPU usage and anywhere from 12 - 28 voices. They occur with no .gsi loaded, nor with any gigapulse instances loaded. It's a very strange thing...

Worra, thanks for responding so quickly! I did a second test without .gsi (which I didn't use anyhow), and without any Gigapulse here.

I appreciate the suggestions and the help!

Steve
    Steven J. Kukla
    Kuklamusic.com

Is your GS3 machine set up as a clock slave to the DAW? It sounds like it might be a wordclock related problem to me.
    Will Loconto
    www.WillLoconto.com

Well... don't I feel dumb.

I just installed the GS3 2.1 update, and all previous issues seem to have disappeared. I am hoping they do not return, but as of now, I'm happy as a clam.

Thanks for everyone's kindness and patience!

Steve
    Steven J. Kukla
    Kuklamusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_K
    Well... don't I feel dumb.

I just installed the GS3 2.1 update, and all previous issues seem to have disappeared. I am hoping they do not return, but as of now, I'm happy as a clam.

Thanks for everyone's kindness and patience!

Steve
    Without knowing that lot about the clams emotional life, I guess I'm another happy clam! Have fun with Jr, I hope you'll find the BIG 7CG even greater!
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Go Back to forum