• Register
  • Help

Topic: Northern Sound Forum Saved my B**t

Share/Bookmark

Northern Sound Forum Saved my B**t

I'm working on a film that's mixing now, and the director asked me for a steel drum song for a subway station scene. I have a very large sample library (almost 500GB), but no steel drums I could think of. I was on the verge of ordering True Strike 2 (looking for a good excuse anyway), but that would have required Fed Ex from Europe, and I probably wouldn't have had it installed and ready before Friday.

Then I went to this forum, searched for "Steel Drums" and within 20 seconds I had found a link to a free download that some nice person had posted years ago. I downloaded it, made the piece on my MacBook and had it in the mix within an hour.

Thanks to all you contributors out there. The "wisdom of crowds" and "kindness of strangers" theories are alive and well here.
    JD

Re: Northern Sound Forum Saved my B**t

nice post JD!
    Dan

Hi, didn't realise true strike 2 had steel pans/drums.
    mind sharing that link?
    As a composer living in the caribbean I get as you can imagine a lot of requests for pan in my music and wish one of the developers would do a steel pan sample set, including lead/tenor, guitar and bass pans.........
    rsp

edit: yes true strike does have. does anyone know how many pans have been sampled?

thanks
    rsp
    richard sven
    sound sculptist
    ------------------
    Nuendo 4.3 | Intel DP35DP : Intel Quad Core QX 6700 : 4GB RAM | Windows XP Pro SP3 | Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | 2xUAD-1, UAD-2 Quad |

Cubase 4.5.2 | MacBookPro 2.16 Ghz | 10.6.3 | 2GB | TC Konnekt 8

wow didnt' realise there were so many steel drums:

There are 10 instruments in the pan family:
    Tenor/Lead (There are many variations of tenor pans: Spiderweb lead, 4ths and 5ths from C and D, 3rds and 5ths, invader, left handed, etc...)
    Double tenors
    Double seconds (extensions can be added to form quadduet)
    Double guitars
    Quadrophonic (four pans)
    Triple guitars
    Cellos (Three and four pan variations)
    Tenor bass (Three and four pan variations)
    Six bass (and numerical variations)
    Nine bass (with numerical variations up to 12)
    richard sven
    sound sculptist
    ------------------
    Nuendo 4.3 | Intel DP35DP : Intel Quad Core QX 6700 : 4GB RAM | Windows XP Pro SP3 | Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | 2xUAD-1, UAD-2 Quad |

This is a bit off topic, but I have always felt that steel drums would be an excellent candidate if orchestras ever get out of the 19th century and add some new standard instruments.

Here's the link I found:

http://www.phunkynutts.com/steeldrum.php

Von Richter This is a bit off topic, but I have always felt that steel drums would be an excellent candidate if orchestras ever get out of the 19th century and add some new standard instruments.
    I've noticed that John Williams has used steel drums a few times, sometimes with the orchestra. It is a great sound.

Thanks for making it easy JD!

These are nice!

thanks for the link.
    rsp
    richard sven
    sound sculptist
    ------------------

Go Back to forum