• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Concerto No. 2 for Piano, Virtual Orchestra and Chorus

Share/Bookmark

Concerto No. 2 for Piano, Virtual Orchestra and Chorus

I recently composed this quickly for me to play at our Composer's recital on April 3 (was a success). This is not the recording with me playing, but rather the GPO piano... which doesn't miss notes.

The piece was conceived for live piano and recorded orchestral accompaniment.

Orchestra and Piano are GPO
    Chorus is Symphonic Choirs
    Composed in Finale 2007 and tweaked just a little in Logic Express 7.2

http://www.fupduckonline.com/music/Concerto-2.mp3
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Re: Concerto No. 2 for Piano, Virtual Orchestra and Chorus

Bravo!

Jess, this is stunning work -- beautifully conceived
    and executed... the writing in this had me fully
    engaged -- through three listens, no less.

Particularly well done was the relationship between
    the piano and orchestra. Too often in concertos,
    the orchestra (and choir, in this case) are relegated
    to the role of punctuation and padding; but you've
    built this with a participatory dialogue amongst the
    players that enriches the conversation, while not
    overpowering or obscuring the predominant role of
    the piano.

The sense of flow and energy, modulated with just
    the right contrast of tension and release, creates
    an invigorating and dynamic environment, as well,
    that keeps the listener enthralled from the first note
    to the last.

Superb!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Post Scriptum:

I might suggest another look at the use of reverb,
    and perhaps a few minor instances where levels
    ran a bit hot.

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Post Scriptum:

I might suggest another look at the use of reverb,
    and perhaps a few minor instances where levels
    ran a bit hot.

Yeah, the verb was a bit heavy. lol. For the performance, I fixed the levels and cut all reverb.
    Thanks for the comments, David. Appreciated as always. There is actually a funny reason why I was sure to give the orchestra a good amount of prominence.. if I were to have composed this in the manner of a normal concerto, there would have been WAY too much practice needed! hahaha.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

This surprised me completely!!! Wonderful instrumentation and mixing of the different voices in the dialogue form. I liked the tension from the first note until the last. Also your harmonic developments stroke me... I suddenly thought of Prokofiev, but you have a complete unique vocabulary.

Still listening to it, while writing. As David said, most pianoconcertos are just a virtuoso piece of piano with supporting orchestra for the extra accents, but this one is really, really new to me.

Now for the 2nd time..... if it still is what I just said..
    The role of the percussion is well chosen and those repetitive strings to give the rhythm... how on earth did you get that idea? Yes, I like this and keep this in my library.

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62
    Now for the 2nd time..... if it still is what I just said..
    The role of the percussion is well chosen and those repetitive strings to give the rhythm... how on earth did you get that idea? Yes, I like this and keep this in my library.

Raymond

Prokofiev is a major influence of mine, along with Bartˇk and Hindemith. The repetitive strings come from those guys I think. Haha. Some of it, just happened!
    Jess Hendricks
    Personal Website

I really enjoyed your music here.
    I can't get into a discussion on influences as I haven't spent enough time listening and studying great composers but your works sounds good to me.
    I would agree with David on the reverb though. I often when mixing also listen to my mix using headphones just to check the reverb because you notice its level easier that way.

Ray

www.rayinstirling.net

Quote Originally Posted by rayzalaf
    I really enjoyed your music here.
    I can't get into a discussion on influences as I haven't spent enough time listening and studying great composers but your works sounds good to me.
    I would agree with David on the reverb though. I often when mixing also listen to my mix using headphones just to check the reverb because you notice its level easier that way.

Ray

www.rayinstirling.net
    I am actually still in the experimenting phase with Kontakt 2's "Convulution" thingy. I will check on that.
    Jess Hendricks
    Personal Website

Oh My God! Oh My God! This is ablolutely stunning. This piece places you right up there with Rachmaninov, Prokofiev and Camille Saint-Saens. These three, for me, are the masters of the modern concerto.

This is a giagantic leap foward for this musical form. The vocals makes this the most unique piano cocerto I've ever heard, and I believe I heard everyone that has been written from the great masters of the past.

One word sums this up: Sublime!

Samantha Penigar
    http://www.myspace.com/samanthapenigar

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...p?userid=13306

Dream it! Then Do it! Good things come to those who work while they wait. [COLOR=purple]Persistence[/COLO

Hello, Jess

Ever since I noticed this listing, I've been looking forward to stopping everything, sitting back and listening--because your post describing its genesis sounded so interesting.

Now I've listened--and had an extremely rewarding experience. "MMmmmmmm"--to be non-verbal in my response.

I really appreciate the piece's gliding pulse. When music's rhythm and pulse become so obscured as to seem absent, I feel one of its most important primal, and compelling elements has been taken away. No danger of that here!

Besides an excellent orchestration of the always-interesting composition, you've done great work in the aural realization--The strings are organic, extremely. The entire orchestra's texture is always rich and enthralling.

I love the concept you had for this--To play the piano live to a virtual orchestra--Great! And I'm very glad to hear that the event went well.

Bravos--and thank you for posting this for us!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

I am listening to this again. Sure, Prokofiev had some influence, but this completely original. And again I liked it. More of this please.

Raymond

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast