• Register
  • Help

Topic: Controller question

Share/Bookmark

Controller question

I'm considering buying a new MIDI controller to replace my old Fatar Studio 88 Plus which is beginning to show signs of aging (Scratchy mod wheel, some keys not working consistently, etc.) I'm looking at the new Edirol PCR-800 which, even though it only has 61 keys, has a lot of interesting features. But, it does not have a mod wheel, per se. Not having purchased a controller in 15 years and not being physically able to go to a brick and mortar place to actually try something out and ask a "knowledgable" person I thought I'd pose my question here and hope someone can give me some guidance. Since the PCR-800 has assignable knobs and sliders does this mean I can assign controller numbers such as CC#1 to one of these knobs to control that function from the keyboard? I like the description of this controller - it has aftertouch and 16 velocity pads. Thanks in advance for your help and assistance.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

Re: Controller question

if you want a controller with a good feel and all the features you could want you have to go with the m-audio axiom. they have a 25, 49, and 61 key version. i have the 25, which i leave in front of my computer to play smaller lines and basically edit the modulation in Logic and it can't be beat. another great thing that it has are super sensitive drum pads in the top right corner that ou can assign to any notes. it also has all the controls on it (play, rewind, rec., etc.).

on that note - if you want to get a midi controller that has all the cool and essential feautures i would strongly recommend the axiom. its only downside is that the biggest it comes in is 61 keys. i hope that helps.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Thanks for the reply, Keith but that doesn't answer the main question, which would be the same question I would have for the Axiom. I need to know if you can assign ANY controller to any knob or slider. I know the Edirol has a mod lever which always resets to 0 but can I reassign CC#1 to a knob or slider. That becomes a possible deal breaker for me so I can use it with GPO. Again, thanks.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

i am pretty positive that you can assign them to whatever it is you want. i use logic and i assigned some of the twisty knobs to different ccs (pan, var1, var2, etc) and had no problem with it. the 25, which is what i have, doesn't have the fader-type knobs, but the 49 and 61 do and i imagine that they would also be able to be assigned to whatever cc you wanted.

also, i looked at the keyboard that you were talking about and the axiom is cheaper and in my opinion a lot better. but in the end its all a matter of what you prefer.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

there is an editing prog that allows you to save setups from M-Audio for the axiom. I unfortunately have an earlier model the radium which still allows saving 15 different program setups, and yes you can set any controller to any pot. here is mine for my keyboard and JABB / GPO.

control setup

Ray

Go Back to forum