• Register
  • Help

Topic: Any editing of .gig in GVI ?

Share/Bookmark

Any editing of .gig in GVI ?

hi

I tried to update my PMI Emperor with .art patch in gvi .... no joy.

That's why I'm going to install GS3 on a partition on the new C2D DAW - for editing (.art updates, Gigapulse etc.).

This has been a bit of a headache, but that's another issue (see my other post).

Am I missing something or can you not update gig files with .art files in GVI ?

swayzak
    1. E8400 C2D, Asus P5K-E Wifi, , 4GB Corsair 8500 ram, rme MF, sw1000, plugstation, XP SP3, many hosts & plugins

2. E6600 C2D, Asus P5B Delux, 2 GB Corsair 5700, Audiophile 2496, XP SP3, Emu APS, many hosts & plugins

Re: Any editing of .gig in GVI ?

That's right. GVI does not have an editor.

I'm really curious to see what the next generation of GS will bring. We can assume full 64-bit support. (Tascam has been fully aware of Vista for quite some time.) I would guess that there will be some non-kernel mode editing as well.

Time to save up for a tree-full of RAM sticks...

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst

I'm really curious to see what the next generation of GS will bring. We can assume full 64-bit support. (Tascam has been fully aware of Vista for quite some time.) I would guess that there will be some non-kernel mode editing as well.

Time to save up for a tree-full of RAM sticks...
    That's right. Tascam confirmed 64 bit compatiblity for the 4th gen elsewhere recently. Exciting times.

Belbin

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst

So if one has just GVI (without GS3), then there is no way of updating / patching instruments unless the developer supplies an updated .gig file ... ?

Won't that cause problems for these users ?
    1. E8400 C2D, Asus P5K-E Wifi, , 4GB Corsair 8500 ram, rme MF, sw1000, plugstation, XP SP3, many hosts & plugins

2. E6600 C2D, Asus P5B Delux, 2 GB Corsair 5700, Audiophile 2496, XP SP3, Emu APS, many hosts & plugins

I simply dont get where Tascam is going with GVI. Kontakt 2 already is much superior to GVI in every way possible. If tascam was going to release something in 2006/2007, they need to compete against Kontakt 2 or other samplers. Instead they release a CUT down version of an already outdated sampler. There's no incentive for people to choose GVI vs. Kontakt2, but I guess to each his own. I mean, comeon folks, you cant EDIT a patch? I read about this in Keyboard magazine when they reviewed GVi, and i was furious. Yeah, i'm not a GVI customer, but what exactly was tascam thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by sambasevam
    ...what exactly was tascam thinking?
    When they started GS3, they had a pretty good plan, but development took much longer than anybody predicted. By the time they released GS3, the market was shifting. GVI was a late response. IMHO, they did exactly the right thing. They limited the feature set and got the product to market. If they had a killer feature plan, but no GVI on the market, that would be much worse.

I would guess that the next gen products will be a strong response not only to K2, but to some of the features showing up in the proprietary players as well. We will see...

Go Back to forum