• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Topic: Exeliksis String orchestra, Live Recording (again)

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Exeliksis String orchestra, Live Recording (again)

    Hello.

    you have been a great audience so I bring you, yet another live recording, but for a string orchestra this time. I hope you won't mind... I promise no more live recordings... I have nothing planned for the near future

    Now on the piece at hand.

    The recording you will hear was the 1st performance (dunno if it will ever get a second...) and the info is as follows:

    Exeliksis For String Orchestra (6-6-5-5-2)
    Conductor: Neil Ferris (really talented young chap)
    Orchestra: Royal holloway String Chamber Orchestra
    Venue: Windsor Building, Royal Holloway, University of London
    Date: 21st of March
    Links:
    The music (14 MB)
    The Score (600 KB)

    Hope you'll enjoy my music.

    Nikolas

  2. #2

    Re: Exeliksis String orchestra, Live Recording (again)

    its cool. one thing that i can't get past (and i know you didn't intend it), is that the opening major #11 chord is the opening to the simpsons. other than that though its cool. lots of tension. i am more of a "less dissonant" kind of person, but i like this type of music every once in a while. and i don't have any objections to hearing live music, and i don't think anyone else does either, but thats just me talking.
    -Keith Fuller

    http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

  3. #3

    Re: Exeliksis String orchestra, Live Recording (again)

    What a remarkable work for strings ensemble! I really liked it! Any more works to show??

  4. #4

    Re: Exeliksis String orchestra, Live Recording (again)

    Another fascinating piece, Nikolas!

    I've got to admit the parts I enjoyed the most
    were out past letters 0,P where things got really
    ripping with the textures. (Speaking of the
    score, nice job on it.)

    I must say, it's good to hear some "live" work
    here, from time to time, too -- it reminds us
    all of what we're doing this for...

    All my best,



    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    .

  5. #5
    Senior Member rpearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    1,904

    Re: Exeliksis String orchestra, Live Recording (again)

    Nikolas,

    I liked this a lot. (Just the type of phrase to avoid in the if-I-post-a-lot-I'll-win-a-prize...) This is a fascinating work, full of very beautiful and haunting textures. The performers seem committed, and it comes off very well. I do have a few small questions, and I hope they don't offend: are there quarter tones, or at least ones you intend? There are spots where I couldn't tell if was quarter tone writing, or the intonation. Sorry - don't mean to be cruel; it works, either way. Do you intend to quote the Barber Adagio? I could answer these for myself, if the downloaded score didn't come out as gibberish ( I must be missing a font, or something...). There was another question, but I've lost my train of thought. Anyway, I certainly hope you do get a second, and third performance - this piece deserves it. This is modern, expressive composition. Glad you posted this, and glad I had the opportunity to hear it.

    Great job!
    Ron Pearl

    Website:

    ronaldmpearl.com

    myspace:

    http://myspace.com/rmpearl

  6. #6

    Re: Exeliksis String orchestra, Live Recording (again)

    Quote Originally Posted by keithjfuller
    its cool. one thing that i can't get past (and i know you didn't intend it), is that the opening major #11 chord is the opening to the simpsons. other than that though its cool. lots of tension. i am more of a "less dissonant" kind of person, but i like this type of music every once in a while. and i don't have any objections to hearing live music, and i don't think anyone else does either, but thats just me talking.
    Thanks Keith. The 'chord' you're listening is probably the first 3 notes which, yes, happen to be the opening theme of the Simpsons. I'm a wild fan of the Simpsons, but never occured to me that I used it. I loved it because of the augemented 4th in there (C-E-F#).

    Thanks for posting.

  7. #7

    Re: Exeliksis String orchestra, Live Recording (again)

    Quote Originally Posted by khiun
    What a remarkable work for strings ensemble! I really liked it! Any more works to show??
    Thanks!

    Works for String Orchestra no. Works in general yes in my site. www.nikolas-sideris.com . Samples which is devided in classical and commercial. I also recently posted a string quartet, if you would care for a listen here in the forums.

  8. #8

    Re: Exeliksis String orchestra, Live Recording (again)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen
    Hi Nikolas,

    Man, that is wild! Great textures, tension, and effects. I wish I could have looked at the score while I listened, but my computer just downloaded a bunch of Hieroglyphics. Ach, computers. It's nice to hear live musicians!

    Thanks for sharing,

    Ern
    Thanks Ern !

    I appreciate your posting. About the score dunno what to say really. It works for me and as far as I understand David must also have seen the score (otherwise he wouldn't be mentioning letters and comments about the score). If you want, I have the Finale 2000 version of the score in mus format. I can send it to you or something...

  9. #9

    Re: Exeliksis String orchestra, Live Recording (again)

    Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Another fascinating piece, Nikolas!

    I've got to admit the parts I enjoyed the most
    were out past letters 0,P where things got really
    ripping with the textures. (Speaking of the
    score, nice job on it.)

    I must say, it's good to hear some "live" work
    here, from time to time, too -- it reminds us
    all of what we're doing this for...

    All my best,



    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    .
    Thank you David.

    Juding from your music and personality (what is projected in your posts), it's brilliant that you think this is a fascinating piece...

    Take care,

    Nikolas

    PS. You didn't have any problems with the score right? Cause some people appear to have had some problems, although I can't see what it is...

  10. #10

    Re: Exeliksis String orchestra, Live Recording (again)

    Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    Nikolas,

    I liked this a lot. (Just the type of phrase to avoid in the if-I-post-a-lot-I'll-win-a-prize...) This is a fascinating work, full of very beautiful and haunting textures. The performers seem committed, and it comes off very well. I do have a few small questions, and I hope they don't offend: are there quarter tones, or at least ones you intend? There are spots where I couldn't tell if was quarter tone writing, or the intonation. Sorry - don't mean to be cruel; it works, either way. Do you intend to quote the Barber Adagio? I could answer these for myself, if the downloaded score didn't come out as gibberish ( I must be missing a font, or something...). There was another question, but I've lost my train of thought. Anyway, I certainly hope you do get a second, and third performance - this piece deserves it. This is modern, expressive composition. Glad you posted this, and glad I had the opportunity to hear it.

    Great job!
    Ron,

    Thank you.

    To answer your questions.

    Yes, there are quarter tones but towards the end of the piece, not before. The rest of the piece is filled with semitones, which was kinda difficult to play (reason : each player was treated as a soloist... so having your desk buddy playing a semitone apart was a tad hard...). Some intonation problems I can hear in the very begining in the viola line (violas start the piece).
    Yes I intended to quote Barber and his Adagio. I did't note it on the score, maybe I should have... hmm... back to Finale I guess for a couple of minutes...

    Thank you for your kind and words and post.

    Great that people like it... I like it as well and the recording is very well made. The sound engineer did a great job I find!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •