• Register
  • Help

Topic: Bill Evans Symbiosis and others...

Share/Bookmark

Bill Evans Symbiosis and others...

Hello everyone! Is anybody familiar with Bill Evans' Symbiosis suite? If yes, can you suggest a record that's like that? Or any album of that style... fuses Jazz and Lush orchestral arrangement. Thanks a lott!

Re: Bill Evans Symbiosis and others...

Claus Ogerman was the arranger on that record and he has a couple of albums like that... Bridge of Dreams comes to mind, but he has others...

Quote Originally Posted by Alonte
    Hello everyone! Is anybody familiar with Bill Evans' Symbiosis suite? If yes, can you suggest a record that's like that? Or any album of that style... fuses Jazz and Lush orchestral arrangement. Thanks a lott!
    Alonte,

You should check out "The Eindhoven Concert" on Azica Records. It's by Chuck Israels and the Metropole Orchestra), who was Bill Evan's bass player for six years (and a member of this forum).

Hope this helps.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by tradivoro
    Claus Ogerman was the arranger on that record and he has a couple of albums like that... Bridge of Dreams comes to mind, but he has others...
    I think that was "Gates of dreams", I also suggest a masterpiece, "Cityscape" with the late M. Brecker. There's also a Bill Evans album called something like "Bill Evans with symphony orchestra" where Bill performs classical themes in the jazz idiom...

Roberto

Quote Originally Posted by Alonte
    Please also try Miles Davis & Gil Evans:
    Sketches of Spain
    Miles Ahead
    Porgy & Bess

Oddly enough, Bill Evans and Gil Evans were supposed to make a recording together, but it never happened...unfortunately

EDITORIAL COMMENT: If you see LIVING TIME by George Russell & Bill Evans, pass it by. I had some peripheral acquaintance with some participants in that work, and they regretted their involvement. It's a mess, frankly.
    You will like Miles and Gil!

Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Wow hey thanks a lot everybody! I discovered Symbiosis and it opened up so many new things... Jazz arranging for orchestra is really interesting.

In addition, look for these names:

Don Sebesky
    Pat Williams
    Michel Legrand

If you can find it, Duke Ellington released an orchestral recording in the late 50's called Orchestral Ellington that is wonderful. Also, anything arranged by Jorge Calandrelli. Some of his work is on Eddie Daniels' CD "Breakthrough". Both the playing and the writing will blow you away.

Somebody above mentioned the "almost" project of Bill Evans and Gil Evans. It is also known that Miles Davis was trying to get a session together with Jimi Hendrix shortly before he (Hendrix, obviously) died.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

Quote Originally Posted by oldbob
    I think that was "Gates of dreams", I also suggest a masterpiece, "Cityscape" with the late M. Brecker. There's also a Bill Evans album called something like "Bill Evans with symphony orchestra" where Bill performs classical themes in the jazz idiom...

Roberto
    You're right... It's been a while...

Go Back to forum