• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Mostly VSL Special Edition Demo

Share/Bookmark

Mostly VSL Special Edition Demo

Dear Group,

I just finished a massive project, and this was the final, culminating cue of the movie. It is a really touching scene, so I went all out for a James Newton Howard sound. Would love any feedback/comments!

Note: There are a few non-Special Edition sounds in here, but 99 percent of it was created with the full version of Special Edition.

LISTEN HERE

Thanks for listening,

-Alex

Re: Mostly VSL Special Edition Demo

Nice composition and expressive realization.

Best,
    Jay

Excellent Alex I think I'm definately going to have to buy this!

Kev
    You can listen to my latest piece here -

I ordered mine from my local music store a couple weeks ago but it still hasn't come in. Gee, I hope it does before the price goes up!

nice composition and especially the piano work. Simply yet elegant. I'm not crazy about the portamento on the strings but that's just a personal preference. Very nice job though!

Really enjoyed this. How is the portamento controlled? Is it built into a sample set or done another way by the user?

Really appreciate these cues!

Steve
    Steven J. Kukla
    Kuklamusic.com

Thanks Jay, Kev, Dave and Steve for the kind words--

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_K
    Really enjoyed this. How is the portamento controlled? Is it built into a sample set or done another way by the user?

Really appreciate these cues!

Steve
    With the Vienna Instrument, you can build the portamento samples in however you like. I choose to trigger portamento by holding down the expression pedal... Unfortunately, though, you don't have much flexibility as far as the speed of the portamento.

I get around this by combining Chamber, Orchestral and Solo samples. If I want the portamento to be on the subtle side, I'll have a solo violin play that way, while the other groups play normal legato. I'm still perfecting the blend, it's tough to find the right balance.

Does anyone have advice about the mix/reverb? Thats always a big challenge for me, I'm not always confident about the final mix.

Thanks again for the kind words!

-Alex

This is wonderful.. Love the sounds. Well done.,....Joseph

Great music! It is interesting to hear a work with this library. Thank you to have shared it.

Bernard

Alex, you have done an excellent work!

But, as here and in many other threads where people posted their work with the VSL-Special Edition, for me this librarie sounds more cool, I miss the humanizing factor.... .

Best regards
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Bernard, Mech and Germancomponist,

Thanks for the feedback!

Germancomponist: Is there a way to pin it down to something more than the "humanizing factor"? Of course the samples do not reach the level of expression that a real orchestra can, but all we can do is get as close as possible I suppose! If you can get more specific, I sincerely appreciate the advice--

-Alex

Go Back to forum