• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: No time stretch/Pitch stretching in GS3?

Share/Bookmark

No time stretch/Pitch stretching in GS3?

Ok, GS3 should be here tommorow. Meanwhile im reading up on it, and i cant find topics regarding GS3 and its timestretch! Can you have GS3 and do time stretch INSIDE of it? Can you chop up beats like you can in kontakt? Or do you use an external editor for everything?

Re: No time stretch/Pitch stretching in GS3?

A few more questions :

1). For those of you with the Ensemble version (which is what I ordered) do you find the polyphony to be very limiting? i.e. do you find yourself hitting the voice brickwall more than often? Please do share your experience!

2).Can you easily take wavs and form your own patch within gigastudio? Sort of like Kontakt 2 drag and drop wav functionality.

3). Does Gigastudio 3 sample external audio, and create an instrument automatically, like an akai sampler?

4). PLEASE tell me gigastudio has timestretching!

5). Does it come with a complete hardcover manual including one for the GigaEditor?

Thank you!

[QUOTE=sambasevam]A few more questions :

1). For those of you with the Ensemble version (which is what I ordered) do you find the polyphony to be very limiting? i.e. do you find yourself hitting the voice brickwall more than often? Please do share your experience!

I believe ensemble has 96 voices. You will hit this if you are doing orchestral stuff or really sustain-heavy piano work. If this happens, consider converting some or all of your samples to mono, halving the number of voices used. Pop arrangements, such as drum stuff guitar/bass, organ should be fine.

2).Can you easily take wavs and form your own patch within gigastudio? Sort of like Kontakt 2 drag and drop wav functionality.

If you name all your samples with the desired midi note number or midi note name at the end of the wave file, and organize each group of articulations/velocity layers into its own folder, you can easily drag and drop the folders into the editor, subsequently dragging them onto the keybaord for automatic mapping. There's also the distributed wave functionality, which I don't use, but I know it uses the sampler directly, without using the editor at all.

3). Does Gigastudio 3 sample external audio, and create an instrument automatically, like an akai sampler?

Yup. Distributed wave. Again, I can't tell you much about it-I'm an editor geek.

4). PLEASE tell me gigastudio has timestretching!

Not unless you count stretching notes to accomodate desired pitches. No way to stretch time without stretching pithc, though, and it seems that this is what you want. There are a couple of creative things you can do to allow creative bbeat manipulation, however. But that can wait.

5). Does it come with a complete hardcover manual including one for the GigaEditor?

Hardcover, no. Softcover, yes. Editor manual, no. Editor electronic documentation, yes.

Hope that clears things up for you!

Belbin

Thanks for the answers. The Ensemble has 160 voices, and I'll not be making HEAVY orchestral music. Maybe throw in some violins and some brass now and then, but nothing as heavy as a full-blown orchestra.

A number of things that I find quite disappointing now :

1). A sampler should be able to time stretch. i.e. slow the tempo of the sample without pitch artifacts. Samplers from the 90s have been able to do this, and GS3 cant? Quite dissappointing. K2 has an extensive time stretching/beat manipulation mode.

2). The editor should have its own documentation in a book. I hate learning software without a book in my hand. I hate learning from html files. Really.

3). I'm glad GS3 can sample. K2 cant do this, and this is what a sampler is all about.

4). I hope there's no disabling of functionalility when used with the Giga VST adapter. Thats my grand master plan.

Quote Originally Posted by sambasevam
    2). The editor should have its own documentation in a book. I hate learning software without a book in my hand. I hate learning from html files. Really.
    http://tascamgiga.com/pdf/GS3_Editor_Manual.pdf

http://tascamgiga.com/downloads/Edit...rial_Files.exe
    — alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Thanks for the links. I have the GS3 user's manual book right in front of me. I love it. I love books and reading them, and trying out stuff in the computer and then when i get stuck i just turn the page and the answer's right there. I'm so old skool.

sambasevam,
    I feel the same way. Though html or whatever is nice to have, it's great to have hard copy infront of you when learning a new program. It's just one less window you have to open in order to go between app and instructions.

Belbin

I agree w/that 100 %.
    But I have taken it a step further by playing the video in question, pausing to verify, and moving on, all in one project window. I don't have videos for any of my Scope synthesizers or custom devices, but the ones I help design come from my head, so it's on me.
    I hate closing down my project window to read another paragraph. That's why the Gigastudio DVD's are so valuable. You simply have a small wondow that floats in the project the whole time, no closing at all. But I had to add a little external Lexicon to Larry, and Dave's voices, as they seem to get a trifle excited,...NOT. I found that the sexy female voice for the Cubase 4 video done by digital doctors was quite enticing. She gave me a woody, and this caused me to study harder, since everything else was.

Red face Re: No time stretch/Pitch stretching in GS3?

Thanks. Any more suggestions to the original question? Basically, i'm looking for the following :

1). You take a drum loop into GS3 and it slices it up into waves/
    2). Time stretch in GS3. You can take a drum loop and slow the tempo down without pitch artifacts.

Otherwise GS3 seems real nifty. The loading times are scary. I loaded a 256 MB Akai piano in less than 5 seconds in my celeron machine with 512 MB ram. And the distributed wave is real good. Too bad I cant record any external input because I"m using FX-MAX. FX-mAX doesnt list it in their readme that you cant record external audio, and that ought to be written there somewhere so buyers like me wont be fooled.

P.S. The book manual written for GS3 is the BEST ever. The writer is sometimes humorous, yet explains things without blabbering off. Kudos.

P.P.S I'm also going to format my computer with a fresh install of Win Xp. Any concerns about registration etc?

Sambasevam:

Came accross this thread after I answered an other thread of yours.
    Maybe I do not understand your problem, but if I wish to stretch a beat or a region in my work, I do it in Sonar, Tempo, and get that as slow as I want it without changing pitch.
    Sorry, if I did not understand your problem and took up your time with something stupid..

Ted

Go Back to forum