• Register
  • Help

Topic: Violin Concerto

Violin Concerto

Hi All,

Here's a violin concerto I wrote in three movements. It's not terribly difficult (probably advanced student level??) but I wanted to write something for the Strad and orchestra. Anyway, constructive feedback is always welcome. Hit the link and scroll down a little bit...

Re: Violin Concerto

What a lovely work. I enjoy your concerto very much. If I could perhaps make one comment: It sounds as though the soloist is slightly too far back....maybe you could bring it a little to the front of the stage.

Thank you
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

This is a nice work.
    I agree that the violin needs to be more "up front" probably make it a little drier than the orchestra.

I have a question. What key does each movement start and end in? My ears may have been deceiving me, but it seems that every movement is starting in the same general key area (you kind of have a modal thing going I enjoy).
    Having each movement in a much more distantly related key, especially because you have continuity of themes throughout all three movements.

Good work, keep it up.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Sublime! What a wonderful treat, to have your sophisticated and brilliantly performed concerto posted here. "Enjoyed" is too mild a word to describe my reaction to it.

I think you were given a good piece of feedback here, regarding the amount of reverb on the solo moments. Though it may not be totally "natural," since all instruments are approximately the same distance from listeners when performing live, it helps in a recording for the soloists to be more featured by having them move forward a bit--not with greater volume, but with less reverb.

Excellent--Very glad you joined the Forum!

Well done, Keith, well done! I've listened to all three
    movements with much appreciation and pleasure.

On the rendering... Randy (above) has some good
    thoughts. [I also know SoundClick does no favors
    to sound quality.] Sound treatment is something
    we all struggle with (me, especially); and adding
    in the dimension of a solo Strad... I think you did
    admirably, overall.

On the difficulty... I'd be interested to see the score
    to this -- there are some parts that might be rather
    demanding. I would suggest, too, giving the violinist
    a little more time to rest for a moment here and there:
    he or she is pretty much fully engaged, throughout.

Technical matters aside, though -- quite an undertaking,
    Keith: well written, very well performed, and a delightful
    concerto I think would play stunningly well with a
    live orchesta.

With applause,

This is some amazing music! So much emotion. You did a great job of building momentum and keeping things movinbg ahead. Never a dull moment.

I also struggle with reverb issues Keith. I tend to put more reverb on the solo instrument in an attempt to make it sound bigger, smoother, more realistic, etc. Randy offers some good advice: you can bring the solo instrument more "up front" in the mix by reducing the reverb on it.

The rendering is excellent. A few times, the string sections seemed to come in a tad too abrutly at other times you blended them in much more smootly. A small issue and the only thing I could really think of where you might make a small incremental improvement!

Go Back to forum