• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question on Mixing

Share/Bookmark

Question on Mixing

I'm not sure where this discussion should be posted.

I am wondering if there is a thread or possibly a download of the procedure that the talented members here use to take a song from midi form (after the tweaking and cc adjustments) through the mixing process to a final performance.

I use Finale to write my score and Sonar HS 6XL to tweak the midi data (volume, vibrato, etc.) It's at this point I get a bit lost. I use the Garritan Orchestra to perform the midi data and then ????

What I have tried are:

1) Mixing separate waves for each instrument of the score
    2) Loading them into a separate Audio tracks
    3) Adding reverb and panning to each track
    4) Mixing these tracks into families of instruments and extracting a wave for the families (i.e. woodwinds, brass, percussion, strings)
    5) Loading these tracks into a 4 track mixer and finalizing the mix (volume, more or less reverb, etc.)

What I would like to see is how others proceed through this maze to get their final product.

Let me know if I should post this on a different board.
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: Question on Mixing

Hey wrayer!

Try this!

http://www.garritan.com/tutorial/AudioMixing.htm

Dan Kury - the master has done tutorial on mixing!

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Jerry,

Thanks. That's exactly what I am looking for. Now I am off to read. It would be nice to hear from other's as to how they proceed through these steps. But, Dan certainly could write the definitive book on Audio Mixing and call it Audio Mixing for Dummies - I'd be the first to buy it!
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Howdy, Wrayer

This is thread started some time ago, but I saw it again and was wondering how you're doing with the mixing now?

That tute Jerry posted probably helped a lot.

SO this response to your post may not be applicable to what you're doing now, but I was wondering about some of what you outlined earlier this month:

"1) Mixing separate waves for each instrument of the score
    2) Loading them into a separate Audio tracks..."

You're using Sonar, and it's more straight forward than that. Bounce MIDI tracks to audio--ta da. No need for step #2.

"3) Adding reverb and panning to each track..."

Sometimes a change in panning at this point is needed, but it's generally what you've already done in the MIDI realm. And when dealing with recordings such as for orchestral emulations, you'd be wanting to have each instrument of a given family go to a FX (reverb) bus set up for that group--perhaps that's what you meant.

"4) Mixing these tracks into families of instruments and extracting a wave for the families (i.e. woodwinds, brass, percussion, strings)"

Are you still doing that? With all of your tracks in that one project, there's no need to mix down the families. If all the Woodwinds, for example, are routed through one Woodwind bus, that's getting the job done inside the mix--if that's clear? Once again, you've probably streamlined your process at this point. I'm just saying that in case you're still making sub-mixes, just remember that you don't need to make an actual .wav of that sub-mix--it plays as a sub-mix inside your master mix.

5) Loading these tracks into a 4 track mixer and finalizing the mix (volume, more or less reverb, etc.)

And this #5 item is actually my main question. You're not doing that anymore are you?--I couldn't figure out why you were moving the mix outside of the project's window--and into a 4 track mixer--?--When you have scads of tracks, buses, FX etc already there in Sonar's Console View--There's no need to go to yet another mixer.

Taking the final 2 track mix into a sound editor like Sound Forge is where you need to do actual mastering. There's more you can do with your mix in a program like that, dedicated to detailed final work on a single stereo mix.

ANd so forth. --ANyway, just re-discovered your thread and was wondering how it's all going for you.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Go Back to forum