• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Kontakt mapping Questions

Share/Bookmark

Kontakt mapping Questions

Hi !

I just bought Kontakt, and a really love all the functions that you put into it, but I have a couple of questions.

1. The cycle round robin feature is great, but I have one problem with it.
    If I want to do drums and I have 3 sections of a snare (loose hits, loose to hard hits & Hard hits) I have 10 loose hits, 15 loose to hard hits & 12 Hard hits. And what I want is to have round robin on the loose and hard hits, but then there will be two silent hits on the loose hits cause the round robin goes around on twelve hits due to the hard hits. This is how it\'s working for me anyway, am I doing something wrong ?

2. Is there any way to make all zones or groups have \"one shot\" enabled as default in the loop editor ? Or can I atleast have the one shot feature work with everything that I select at once ?

Re: Kontakt mapping Questions

More questions:

3. If I copy zones from one instrument o another, all groups and settings dissapear from those zones once I paste them ionto a new instrument, why ?

4. I tried in pro tools to record from Kontakt onto channels. I used the same instrument (snare) 10 times, and many times i did not zync with the other channels recorded with the same instrument. Why ?

I really appreciate answers on all of my Questions from people at NI or anyone else that can answer.

Hi Mattias,

let me try to answer your questions.

If I want to do drums and I have 3 sections of a snare (loose hits, loose to hard hits & Hard hits) I have 10 loose hits, 15 loose to hard hits & 12 Hard hits. And what I want is to have round robin on the loose and hard hits, but then there will be two silent hits on the loose hits cause the round robin goes around on twelve hits due to the hard hits. This is how it\'s working for me anyway, am I doing something wrong ?

No, you´re not doing anything wrong. The round robin function is implemented this way. It works well for string instruments for example, but if you want to have different settings for different groups, we have to change the software. Its a good idea and I will propose to implement an additional feature where you can assign different cycles to different groups. Currently the only way to achieve what you want, is to use different instruments.

2. Is there any way to make all zones or groups have \"one shot\" enabled as default in the loop editor ? Or can I atleast have the one shot feature work with everything that I select at once ?

No, this is also on the wish-list. I hope we can implement this soon.

3. If I copy zones from one instrument o another, all groups and settings dissapear from those zones once I paste them ionto a new instrument, why ?

Currently you can only copy zones, but not groups with zones. You would have to copy your instrument and exchange the zones within this instrument to keep the group settings. A combine-instruments feature would be nice though.

4. I tried in pro tools to record from Kontakt onto channels. I used the same instrument (snare) 10 times, and many times i did not zync with the other channels recorded with the same instrument. Why ?

Hard to say where the problem is.
    Are you using Kontakt with direct connect ? If yes, which version of DC do you use ? Are you sending midi-data through the IAC-bus ?

Hope this helps.

Martin

Hi Mattias,

let me try to answer your questions.

No, you´re not doing anything wrong. The round robin function is implemented this way. It works well for string instruments for example, but if you want to have different settings for different groups, we have to change the software. Its a good idea and I will propose to implement an additional feature where you can assign different cycles to different groups. Currently the only way to achieve what you want, is to use different instruments.

No, this is also on the wish-list. I hope we can implement this soon.

Currently you can only copy zones, but not groups with zones. You would have to copy your instrument and exchange the zones within this instrument to keep the group settings. A combine-instruments feature would be nice though.

Hard to say where the problem is.
    Are you using Kontakt with direct connect ? If yes, which version of DC do you use ? Are you sending midi-data through the IAC-bus ?

Hope this helps.

Martin

Hi Martin !

Thanks for your answer !

>Hard to say where the problem is.

Yeah, really strange.

>Are you using Kontakt with direct connect ?

Yes, is there any other way to use Kontakt with Pro Tools ?

>If yes, which version of DC do you use ?

>Are you sending midi-data through the IAC-bus ?

I really don\'t know, in pro tools I choose KONTAKT as midi transmitter, and in Kontakt I choose TDM systems/Direct Connect as Midi reciever.

It would be really great to solve this problem, and so I am thankful for any suggestions. As it is now, I can\'t use Kontakt at all since timing in my project is essential.

Hi Martin !

Please shred some light on the above question...

Hi Martin !

Thanks for your answers.

The problem is not that I have a latency, but that the latency is different everytime I replay the same midi information through the same instrument within kontakt.

I will try to update my DC and stream manager if there is any newer versions. I will get back to you once I tried this.

Hi Mattias,

>Are you using Kontakt with direct connect ?
    Yes, is there any other way to use Kontakt with Pro Tools ?

No, currently there is no other way than using it with DC or standalone where the output is routed not to Protools but directly to the output.
    Then just midi would be sent to Kontakt.

>If yes, which version of DC do you use ?

Did you try to use other vesions of Direct Connect and the Stream Manager ? I think there are a couple of other extensions from Digidesign which improve the latency and overall performance.

>Are you sending midi-data through the IAC-bus ?
    I really don\'t know, in pro tools I choose KONTAKT as midi transmitter, and in Kontakt I choose TDM systems/Direct Connect as Midi reciever.
    It would be really great to solve this problem, and so I am thankful for any suggestions. As it is now, I can\'t use Kontakt at all since timing in my project is essential.

When transmitting Midi information from ProTools to Kontakt there will always be a delay to the internal audiotracks of ProTools.
    When you send midi to Kontakt (or any other synth plugin connected via DC) and the midi-event is in sync with the other audio tracks, the audio that comes back from Kontakt through DC has a latency due to the audio buffer caused by Direct Connect. If this buffer is 512 samples (as in DC 5.1) you will have a latency of app. 12 ms. If you want to compensate this delay, you have to shift your other audiotracks 12 ms forward. You can also use a plugin in ProTools which compensates this delay.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Martin

Hi Martin !

We did download the latest versions of DC and Stream Manager, and I\'m sad to say that it did not work either. The timing is not simply the same for each time you\'re playing the same instrument.

Now we tried this in VST with kontakt, and it worked great, every hit was exactly at the same place every time, brilliant!!!!

We are currently developing a new sampler cd (Drumkit from Hell 2) and the timing is so essential in this project that I cannot use Kontakts engine to do the project until this is solved.

So, what are you guys going to do about this timing issue within Pro Tools??

Answer please...

Go Back to forum