• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT - MidiSpark music visualizer

Share/Bookmark

Post OT - MidiSpark music visualizer

Hi all,

Recently I've been inspired by several different midi visualization concepts, including the Music Animation Machine Sean Hannifin posted about here, as well as the work Dmitri Tymoczko has done.

I'm working on my own application that takes this on at a slightly different angle. Here's a little proof of concept video I uploaded to youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqzkhi9EXCI

The audio is 100% Garritan, so I thought it would be ok to post this in these forums.

This video shows one of my works put through a very early alpha build of my MidiSpark application. The Midi file and audio files were both exported as they were from Sonar without any further tweaking. The program attaches and synchronizes the two files. The video is processed from the midi file as the audio plays. Honestly, the uploaded video does not do this justice, compared to seeing it play in real-time.

My plan is for completely customizeable visualizations for each track in the midi file, including size, shape, color, movement and transparency of each represented note, as well as various graphical machinations. All style concepts will also be controllable via note-on velocities and controller information. The sample video has one style across all tracks, but it should be very interesting once I get the multi-style running smoothly.

It's still in alpha testing, but I may be looking for beta testers soon. I'll certainly ask among this community first!

Edit: The second demo has been posted with a number of new options running: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej-CtPVKsH0
    Last edited by Skysaw; 04-12-2007 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Link to new demo
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Re: OT - MidiSpark music visualizer

Cool stuff. The style fits the music very well, much beter than the windows media visualizer which i never liked. When it has a different style for each track, will it still have that great falling effect like that, but have different shapes?

edit: nevermind, i see your post answers my question.

Cool! As Leaf said, the style certainly fits the music very well!

Would it be possible to make it go backwards? Not the music, but the animation? One thing I enjoyed about the Music Animation Machine is the strange sense of expectation you get when watching some note scroll towards the "now" bar... very similar to that strange expectation you get when you're following along with a score and see the crescendo coming in a few bars. You don't know exactly how it will sound, but you can see it and you anticipate it... then when it comes it's not a total surprise but its still surprising... if that makes any sense.

Anyway, really cool stuff! I really enjoyed watching! I hope I can be a beta tester...
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

I found it refreshing, and relevant. Unlike the randomization of M$, it was obvious that the visual events were triggered by related musical movement. A full screen would have been nice, and I'm hoping that's in your grander plan.

Thank you for a nice, crisp demo!

I'm looking forward to further development.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf
    Cool stuff. The style fits the music very well, much beter than the windows media visualizer which i never liked. When it has a different style for each track, will it still have that great falling effect like that, but have different shapes?
    The falling effect is just one of the parameters I have plugged into the default effect. You can program specific gravity and changes to gravity over time... even negative gravity for a soap-bubble effect.
    - Jamie Kowalski

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    Would it be possible to make it go backwards? Not the music, but the animation? One thing I enjoyed about the Music Animation Machine is the strange sense of expectation you get when watching some note scroll towards the "now" bar... very similar to that strange expectation you get when you're following along with a score and see the crescendo coming in a few bars. You don't know exactly how it will sound, but you can see it and you anticipate it... then when it comes it's not a total surprise but its still surprising... if that makes any sense.
    There are three stages to each note, one for note-on, note-off, and a "before note-on" with a settable time. Because of this, you can make the notes appear to go backwards vs. the music, and even have them appear however you like before the note is played. So yes to both of your questions!
    - Jamie Kowalski

Quote Originally Posted by jmpaquette
    I found it refreshing, and relevant. Unlike the randomization of M$, it was obvious that the visual events were triggered by related musical movement. A full screen would have been nice, and I'm hoping that's in your grander plan.
    Thanks, Joe. Full screen will be available. I do my tests with a fairly large window, and it's quite nice.
    - Jamie Kowalski

Really super, Skysaw--Loved both your music and this demo of your visualization prototype. Just tonight I was playing with the Music Animation program Sean posted and was wondering what other kind of work is being done in this area--then I found your post. I'd enjoy being a beta tester when you get to that stage. Thanks for showing us this!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Thumbs up Re: OT - MidiSpark music visualizer

Jamie,
    I posted a comment on your Myspace account.

I like what you are doing, your music (which was really good, btw) was a great choice to show off the software.

Another suggestion, if you don't mind...

Could you program the shapes with a rebound parameter? What I mean is, if the shapes were going backwards, (towards the middle) they would hit center and then rebound back outwards. How `hard' they rebound would depend on note velocity.

Just an idea that I thought would be cool. Make sure to let us know if you want any testing done!

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Really super, Skysaw--Loved both your music and this demo of your visualization prototype. Just tonight I was playing with the Music Animation program Sean posted and was wondering what other kind of work is being done in this area--then I found your post. I'd enjoy being a beta tester when you get to that stage. Thanks for showing us this!
    Thanks, Randy. It might be ready for some early testing soon, so I'll let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by LFO
    Could you program the shapes with a rebound parameter? What I mean is, if the shapes were going backwards, (towards the middle) they would hit center and then rebound back outwards. How `hard' they rebound would depend on note velocity.
    Kevin, funny you should mention this just now. I've been playing with some new options, and set up something that looks a little bit like what you're describing. I've successfully added a look-ahead feature, and I've got it throwing little balls of white light from the sides which impact and smear in color just when the note comes on. The notes grow as they are held, and fall away after the note-off.

One thing that should be kept in mind is that the symmetrical mirrored view I have on the video is only one of many ways to use it. It is very easy to set up a scrolling right to left view, and even some very weird configurations that are hard to describe, but quite lovely to watch.
    - Jamie Kowalski

Go Back to forum