• Register
  • Help

Topic: Essential sound libraries?

Share/Bookmark

Essential sound libraries?

Hey everyone,

As you can tell by my post count, I'm a new guy.
    I use GPO, GJABB, and VSampler (with GS3's instruments, after I got sick of GS3 itself).

I'm curious- as someone who hasn't explored enough with Giga/et al instruments, what are some companies and instrument sets/libraries you folks out there consider essential?

As in, not what's good basic stuff for a beginner, but rather, the must-haves in your respective collections, in pretty much every instrument area (orchestral, rock, synth, the works).

Although I doubt I'll be able to afford everything for a while, at least I can gain some knowledge and have some spending targets to aim for

Besides, it sounds like something cool everyone could benefit from (in case anyone thinks I'm posting before looking, I Google searched, but it's very hard to find anything that's not ads for software!).

As for quality, I go for realism in my work, so anything real (i.e. not a synth instrument like a fantasy pad, but instruments that exist in real life) I appreciate sounding that way. And I know technology's come a long way since I last investigated a year or so ago, which is what's prompted me to ask and review my sets- and my Giga sets especially are very limited (although I have some gems).

Anyway. Thanks for reading this, any responses greatly appreciated

Hope everyone's having a great Easter!

Regards,
    - Spike

Re: Essential sound libraries?

Libraries: Stormdrum, Atmosphere
    Instruments: Absynth, Massive
    Fun but not something you use every day: EWQLSO Choir

You've got GPO, so you have orchestral pretty well covered. If you decide to get more orchestral libraries, add Kirk Hunter Emerald.

I've got some other miscellaneous libs that I really like (Sampletekk Recorders and Anvils), but the stuff above covers 99% of anything I do.

My current wish list:
    Bela D Celtic Wind, Pro SAM True Strike 1 & 2, Garritan Cello and Strad

well... my friendly advice... get rid of Vsampler and get Kontakt2... i've had too much problems with Vsampler and bugs when saving instances on cubase, and the VS3 extensios is way too unstable...

true strike 2 is on my wishlist as well... TS1 is nice, but nothing i havn't heard before

I use the VSL V.I.s and Kontakt. VSL is a must any serious composer.

I finally removed Gigastudio, it froze my entire computer. I was a hard core Giga user, but not anymore.

For orchestral stuff, since you already have GPO, I'd suggest using that as your base and look for additional products to build on it. Westgate and Vienna libraries work very well in this regard.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

I haven't been happy with Giga since Tascam bought it from Nemesys (or bought Nemesys itself, I don't remember which). They let in languish for too long, had too many compatibility problems with XP, and overall don't seem to know what to do with it. The only way I'd try and use it now would be to dedicate a machine to it, and I'm simply not interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Braindrop
    The only way I'd try and use it now would be to dedicate a machine to it, and I'm simply not interested.
    I have Sonar, Vegas, ACID and other music/video stuff on my Giga PC with no troubles. I know that's not the case for everybody.

But for those who don't want the risk of kernel-level code, there's GVI. I mostly use GS3, but GVI has been stable for me when I've used it.

As for essential libs, my top vote these days goes for the Westgate Modular Series instruments. The oboe, flute and horn libs are amazing. I don't even need to hear the demos to buy the coming modules.

Spikey,

You will get many answers. Let's narrow the search a little bit. First, what kind of budget are you talking about? Some of the higher end libs such as VSL and some others can run thousands.

GPO is a great start, Tremndous bang for the buck.

Kirk Hunter Emerald is another great value product with some great sounds, you can read about it on this forum, many posts. You get a lot for the price.

I did not know that VSampler could run Giga instruments properly, but I would highly reccomend you get Kontakt2 also. You can upgrade from GPO for not a lot of money and then you will be able to run stuff like Kirk Hunter libraries and other stuff like that. I feel more confident about using Kontakt for Giga libs. VSampler is probably still great for all the freely available soundfonts that you can download off the net and experiment witih.

What kind of music are you into? You say real instruments. Do you mean orchestral instruments? Jazz instruments? Rock band sounds? What. There are lots of directions to go with that question.
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Thanks for all the replies so far. Sorry for the delay in replying, my website has been heinously busy all week.

well... my friendly advice... get rid of Vsampler and get Kontakt2... i've had too much problems with Vsampler and bugs when saving instances on cubase, and the VS3 extensios is way too unstable...
    Heh. Actually, the reason I got VS3 in the first place was that K2 was supposedly buggy, and VS3 was stable Pretty funny.

VS is kind of an annoying program to use, as opposed to the claims made by Bjorn Lynne (composer) on Maz Sound's site (the homepage for the company).

I might have to look into Kontakt 2. Any other votes for it?

I use the VSL V.I.s and Kontakt. VSL is a must any serious composer.

I finally removed Gigastudio, it froze my entire computer. I was a hard core Giga user, but not anymore.
    Yeah, I'm a VSL fan myself. I got demos with GS3 (now fairly old in terms of modern software-based instruments) and man, some of those instruments are amazing!

GS3's main problem (in my book) was that the ridiculous CrypKey DRM licensing program slows down your PC, and won't run without it. I don't know why they used that- scrap that, and I'd still be using GS3, and thinking about GVI.

For orchestral stuff, since you already have GPO, I'd suggest using that as your base and look for additional products to build on it. Westgate and Vienna libraries work very well in this regard.
    Thanks for the advice about GPO, which I should point out I'm very happy with (Although JABB is a mixed bag.)

Also, GPO/VSL is probably what I'll do, for orchestral anyway.

Thanks guys.

I haven't been happy with Giga since Tascam bought it from Nemesys (or bought Nemesys itself, I don't remember which). They let in languish for too long, had too many compatibility problems with XP, and overall don't seem to know what to do with it. The only way I'd try and use it now would be to dedicate a machine to it, and I'm simply not interested.
    Ditto- I spoke to a LA composer recently, and he said he runs "Gigastudios", that is, 1 PC for strings, 1 for pianos, and so on. Obviously for me that isn't viable

As for essential libs, my top vote these days goes for the Westgate Modular Series instruments. The oboe, flute and horn libs are amazing. I don't even need to hear the demos to buy the coming modules.
    Yeah, I was impressed with VSL's woodwind- the clarinets were incredible.

I'll have to check out some stuff from Westgate.

You will get many answers. Let's narrow the search a little bit. First, what kind of budget are you talking about? Some of the higher end libs such as VSL and some others can run thousands.
    Hehe. Good question. Let's put it this way- when I can spend thousands on a new synth from Roland and not get so much, I'd rather spend thousands on software-based instruments that sound good. Let's also say budget (right now, anyway) isn't an issue. It's more getting value for money I'm concerned with, since as you know, you can't buy every one that comes out!

GPO is a great start, Tremndous bang for the buck.
    Couldn't agree more.

Kirk Hunter Emerald is another great value product with some great sounds, you can read about it on this forum, many posts. You get a lot for the price.
    Cheers, a few have mentioned it, both here and offline.

I did not know that VSampler could run Giga instruments properly, but I would highly reccomend you get Kontakt2 also. You can upgrade from GPO for not a lot of money and then you will be able to run stuff like Kirk Hunter libraries and other stuff like that. I feel more confident about using Kontakt for Giga libs. VSampler is probably still great for all the freely available soundfonts that you can download off the net and experiment witih.
    One of the selling points of VS3 is that it runs not only VS files, but GS3, SF2, and more.

Very good idea, I'll look into it.

Sounds more pro audio and user-friendly, VS3 may sometimes be simple but it's really annoyed me ever since I started using it, that padlock system is awful.

What kind of music are you into? You say real instruments. Do you mean orchestral instruments? Jazz instruments? Rock band sounds? What. There are lots of directions to go with that question.
    Primarily, orchestral (now sorted for the moment), jazz and rock. I'm fairly happy with my vintage synths for synth instruments themselves (although I could use a good square wave! ).

I'd love a good drumkit as well, both a 'standard' kit, plus a jazz one, an orchestral percussion and a 'power' one.

Regards, and thanks very much for the replies folks,
    - Spike

Go Back to forum