• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Feria (Ravel)

Share/Bookmark

Feria (Ravel)

Hi all,

After a number of disasters, I finally completed this piece for large orchestra.

I have two queries that someone may possibly be able to help me with:

1) Is it possible to expand the range of pitchbend with GPO and NI ? I can only get a maximum of 2 semitones.

2) With this piece, I get a lot of noise in certain portions, and therefore it's not possible for me to monitor it without first creating the audio file, and then listening back to it.

This is my setup:
    Laptop computer with AMD 2.2 GHz, 2Gig RAM, Windows xP.
    Audigy 2 ZS soundboard.
    Garritan Studio using ASIO4ALL set to 512 buffer.

Anyhow, here it is:

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Showband.asp?id=12750

Thanks,

Jack

Re: Feria (Ravel)

sounds like an amazing rendition to my ears, Jack, great use of gpo!

Roberto

Quote Originally Posted by jacksiru
    1) Is it possible to expand the range of pitchbend with GPO and NI ? I can only get a maximum of 2 semitones.
    The best advice I can give is to wait a little longer for the update. It adds the ability to adjust the pitchbend range. There's a box on the interface for this adjustment. With the present version you would need to load the instruments into the full version of Kontakt and change the programming. Once saved you would only be able to use the instruments in the full version of Kontakt (not the player.) So, it's best to wait for the update.

2) With this piece, I get a lot of noise in certain portions, and therefore it's not possible for me to monitor it without first creating the audio file, and then listening back to it.
    If I understand your description it sounds like you either can't monitor in realtime due to host software/soundcard configuration issues, or your system is overloading in playback - thus keeping you from being able to monitor things until they are converted to audio files that reduce the load on your processor. If the latter, try increasing the buffer size on your soundcard and see if you get any more mileage. You could also try a lower quality setting on your reverb of choice or save the reverb for audio post. Anything that reduces CPU cycles might help. Lower maximum polyphony settings on instruments like piano and harp. I don't have enough information to offer any advice if it is, instead, a configuration or routing issue with the host software or soundcard.

Tom

Thanks a lot for your comment, Roberto.

Tom,

I'm afraid I'm not too conversant technically, but I'll try to clarify. Essentially, I set up Garritan Studio with the instruments I'm using, load the MIDI file into Cakewalk Express (from my editing program), and play it from there. I can start, stop at any point. To make changes, I go back to my editing program, make the changes, and repeat the process. When I'm ready, I record the audio file using Garritan Studio. However, when passages are too noisy, I find it necessary to record first in order to hear the balance etc. None of the noise goes onto the recording. The noisy parts seem to be in places which are both loud, and when many tracks are in use. I use ASIO4ALL because it allows me to set the sample rate at 44100 whereas the ASIO on my soundboard forces a sample rate of 48000. I could set the buffer size on ASIO4ALL to 1024, but the preferences on Garritan Studio only allows a maximum of 512. I hope this makes sense. I'll try adjusting the polyphony, where possible.

Thanks for your help.

Jack

Hey Jack,

You should get better playback if you you use the ASIO drivers that come with the Audigy 2 card. Is there a reason you are using ASIO4ALL instead?

Nice music by the way Jack!

Cheers
    Kenny

Hi Kenny,

Thanks for your comments.

The reason I'm using ASIO4ALL is that Creative ASIO that comes with my soundcard forces a sample rate of 48000, and some mp3 hosting sites will not playback the MP3's properly unless the sample rate is 44100.

Jack

Wow, I haven't heard this in ages.

Jack, the rendition (and the peformance and interpretation)
    on this are excellent. I ran this up on the good speakers;
    much impressed with it!

About the only suggestion I'd make -- and it's a very minor
    one -- is perhaps damp the reverb off very, very slightly
    in the bass ranges to get a touch more clarity, there.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks very much, David.

Actually, I was thinking it wasn't that good, so I doubly appreciate both your comments and your encouragement.

Best regards,

Jack

Hi, Jack---A gorgeous piece done with loving care. Amazing really.

From looking at your posts on this thread, it would seem you're working under some handicaps--and I'm still not quite clear on things.

There are some "machine gun" moments, 4:15 and in the following fast sections. The unnatural fluttering effect from repeated notes--something everyone pretty much struggles with. Did you use cc22 and 24?--or are you able to that in your program? Those are the intonation variation controllers that help tremendously.

When you refer to "my editing program," do you mean a notation program?--All this shuffling back forth between two programs is what's sounding like a laborious procedure. I'm a fan of doing all work in an audio/MIDI program, like the Sonar I use. I feel it's much more flexible, and then if you needed a notated print out (but you wouldn't for Ravel)--you can make a quantized version of the work and go in the Other direction, to the notation program.

--I'm listening again as I type--What's that sound around 1:30?

Really a pleasure to hear this. Maybe some of the posts on this thread will be helpful to you.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    The best advice I can give is to wait a little longer for the update. It adds the ability to adjust the pitchbend range.
    Tom,

Will this apply to JABB as well? Thanks.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast