• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Crashes in K2 with CHG - Any ideas?

Share/Bookmark

Crashes in K2 with CHG - Any ideas?

I've emailed Chris directly, but thought I would post here to see if anyone also has input.

After three months of using Chris Hein Guitars, I just started experiencing sudden crashes with both Kontakt 2 and the Kontakt 2 Player when trying to load certain patches. This only happens with larger sample sets, including the full sets for at least three of the guitars. It's consistent with both the Kontakt Player as well as Kontakt itself.

Even older projects that used these patches are now crashing K2/Logic when I try to open them.

I've been trouble-shooting to rule out various issues, including having reinstalled and experimented with new installations on two other drives. I've also played around with various DFD settings (though I've never changed these before with my slew of other samples). The fact that both programs (K2 player and K2) crash at exactly the same places might suggest bad files, though this seems unlikely as only the full sample sets seem to be affected. On the other hand, the fact that I can load the less-demanding patches hints at the possibility of memory issues, though I've never encountered this before.

In any event, I'm also experiencing some other glitches with projects where I'm trying to load the Garritan Cello - basically where I will close one open project, but Kontakt seems to forget to empty the samples out of RAM when loading the newer project (or that's my guess). Hence Logic crashes. The projects reload fine once I relaunch. Obviously I'm on a mac (G5 PPC, OS X.4.9, 2.5g ram).

Could these issues be related? None of these things have been an issue until recently. Any suggestions or help on this would be greatly appreciated.

pax

Re: Crashes in K2 with CHG - Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by gpax
    None of these things have been an issue until recently.
    Did you update K2 and KP2 recently?

Can you identify the sample(s), that are involved in the crash? Bad sector?

Hi Nickie

I was hoping you might chime in - thanks! I've been running the latest version of Kontakt 2 since released several weeks ago. The Kontakt 2 player was updated more recently when I both installed the Gofriller and the "unofficial" GPO 2.

I actually took some screen shots loading with various scenarios, and hence can see exactly where in the loading process he crashes are occuring. As these scan so fast, I can't say which one exactly. Incidentally, the K2 player at least gives me dialogu, while K2 just simply quits.

Is there a way for me to scan for corrupt samples out of the zillions?

Thanks

pax

Quote Originally Posted by gpax
    As these scan so fast, I can't say which one exactly. Incidentally, the K2 player at least gives me dialogu, while K2 just simply quits.

Is there a way for me to scan for corrupt samples out of the zillions?
    Well, kind of. If you can pin-point approximately (folder/approximate point in folder) which samples cause the crash, you can audition the samples in that part of the folder with K2's Files/DataBase "Info" pane. Right now this is the only way, I can think of, I am afraid.

But, do you think the updating of either program coincided with the start of the crashing behaviour?

What happens, if you load the instrument in "purged mode" (Options | Load/Import)? Just to rule out, that something other than a bad sample is the culprit.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    But, do you think the updating of either program coincided with the start of the crashing behaviour?
    The timing does seem rather peculiar, though I had been working with K2 for at least two weeks (that I'm aware of) after the last update.

The screen shots actually give me a good sense of where to start trouble shooting with the samples, though I still question why this happens only on the full sets. I'll let you know. Thanks so much for your input - you've restored my faith in the goodness of forums : )

pax

... you can audition the samples in that part of the folder with K2's Files/DataBase "Info" pane. What happens, if you load the instrument in "purged mode"
    I auditioned the files (all of them - nylon full), and everything checked out fine, at least no corrupted samples. I also loaded up some existing projects with purge mode engaged (in K2), but still could not load the larger sample sets. Maybe limited RAM is finally catching up?

As an experiment, I loaded up the full Jazz set (huge), and with a memory gauging app, could see just how much RAM was being used. Oddly, several changes in the DFD settings didn't seem to affect this, and I kept getting a dialogue of memory limitations in K2. I also ran memory diagnostics to make sure all my installed RAM was still good. BTW, I've fiddled with the DFD settings so much, I'm afraid I've lost track of my default from before - shouldn't the "safe" default be around 1/3 or 1/4th?

Anyway, I suspect that Kontakt 2/K 2 Player is behaving as if there is not enough physical RAM, though so far it's only obvious with CHG. All my East West and other Kontakt/Kompakt based libraries seem OK. I'm not ruling out any problems in CHG, though there's still the issue of closing/opening other projects, like using Garritan Cello, for example, where the RAM is not fully purged when I try to load up a new instrument in a different project.

Sorry for so many details. This gave me an excuse to order 2 more gigs of RAM, though I still think something else is afoot.

pax

Just a thought, Pax: I know next to nothing about Mac, but wasn't OS X 10.4.9 released a few weeks ago, after the K2.2.1/KP2.2.1 releases? Coincidence? There does seem to be problems with 10.4.9 http://www.gearwire.com/osx-1049-causing-problems.html

Just a thought, Pax: I know next to nothing about Mac, but wasn't OS X 10.4.9 released a few weeks ago, after the K2.2.1/KP2.2.1 releases? Coincidence? There does seem to be problems with 10.4.9 http://www.gearwire.com/osx-1049-causing-problems.html
    I was thinking the very same thing last night. The link deals more with AU validation issues for those plugins mentioned, but 10.4.9 could still be a factor in my case. If so, I certainly can't be the only one affected. I'm now getting memory errors with Ivory, with just one other instance of a VI loaded in Logic. Quitting an reloading solves this, but for some reason, any used up RAM is not being cleared when simply closing and opening another projects. Look like I'll need to keep investigating. Thanks for your note.

pax

Still no one with a similar configuration? Am I going crazy? No, don't answer that!

I have found similar posts (though not CHG specific) detailing issues with larger files and Kontakt 2.2 (potentially a relation to the latest 10.4.9 update as well). CH forwaded my information to NI - but I've heard nothing in the last month. Chris indicated no problems that he was aware of on his end. On my end, the largest CHG files are the only thing that cause this issue - and it remains peculiar to me that of all the samples I use, these are by the far the largest single instruments. This causes me to question memory size issues in Kontakt.

Certainly I'm not the only one?

pax

i have been having the same problem,
    see: http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=53704
    problems started w/ install of CHG and upgrade to K2.1 and K2.2.1(from K2.09 which worked well).........I am not sure if it is CHG or K2 or K2 player,did you ever get this straightened out?if I try to rebuild database for K2 or K2player they both quit in the middle of rebuilding and Mac crash's
    NI undid my authorizations so i can uninstall both programs,trash all associated files and install again ..........more FUN in the land of software!
    KG
    2.7 G5(PPC) 6.5 gig ram,10.48. DP5.12 ,
    FF800, NI,EW,IK VI's ,synths.. etc... Vdrums, Akai Z8 ,XP30 , Focal Twin 6 monitors
    UAD1w/Magma,TC PoCo/pci,
    Shunyata Powercords/Conditioners,Richard Gray....numerous harddrives Firmtek box(esata),& 2nd fw buss

Go Back to forum