• Register
  • Help

Topic: My memory of you

Share/Bookmark

My memory of you

this is my last composition - "My memory of you" (Il mio ricordo di te - the title is in italian)
    it came from an idea i had while improvising on the piano. i finished it in an anfternoon, plus a morning of "refinement".

i will not the tell you the story behind this song but, when i finished the music, i asked myself where is the borderline between the truly msucial inspiration that comes from your deepest feelings and the rational point of of view needed to compose when you start from a idea and try to arrange a complete piece....

http://www.alchemystudio.it/mp3/Il_m...ordo_di_te.mp3

Re: My memory of you

Hi Bosi,

this is a very good dramatic composition and I think there is a big story behind this song.

A great work!

Best
    Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Nice but boring,
    It is 1:28 before you start to build on the theme which may be fine as a backing track behind video but it struggled to keep my attention. Then again at 2:30 you bring it up again at a time when it should already be interesting.
    Sorry, I seem to be very critical, but I really am trying to be helpful. The basic theme is fine but fairly constant so it needs more going on around it.
    Or is it a song with no vocalist.

Ray

www.rayinstirling.net

i'm going to disagree with ray a little on this one. i think that the piece is not boring at all, it has a flow to it that is a little constant and repetitive yet far from boring. i think it would be cool to put a little more energy behind some of the parts (maybe a light percussion beat?). the other suggestion i would give would be to give it a noticable climax - maybe give it a high and loud note that is built up to then give it a few rests before coming back into the main part again. you can also try harmonizing the melody a little (maybe something simple like having another instrument play the melody a 3rd higher).

either way though, i think it is a cool piece with a good amount of potential. and you shouldn't feel bad at all about that - i see that this took you an afternoon to write and a morning to refine, which is really really good in that amount of time. now i just think you should spend a little more time in developing it so it can be a great piece. thanks for posting.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Hello, Bosone

I think I would have sensed what a personal work this is for you, even if I hadn't read your original post. The contemplativeness from which this emerged is clearly there. Interesting textures weaving throughout, all performed so tastefully and with restraint.

I'm interested to know what sounds you used for the early pad, that nice wash of sound.

And when you said, "...i asked myself where is the borderline between the truly msucial inspiration that comes from your deepest feelings and the rational point of of view needed to compose..." I think you spoke well for all of us when we write music, and that interesting collaboration is set in motion between the two hemispheres of our brains.

I haven't heard music from you before, I'm glad I did this morning. Thank you.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

thanks for all your comments ad appreciations... for now i consider this piece almost "finished", in the sense that the inspiration i was given for composing it was the result of a particular and sad moment... maybe after some months i will be able to rethink some part of this piece in more critical way and to apply some of your suggestions

ray, dont' worry abouit your critics, you are saying the truth and you are helpful... my main "problem" is that i didnt studeid a lot of composition theory and it's quite difficult for me to arrange modulations, variations or others methodology typical of "standard" compositions.... eìbut i'm very interested in learning it so i try to apply something i read of in every piece i try to write!

regarding the sounds, strings and piano are form GPO (of course!), the irish flute is from "quantum leap rare instrument", a recent addition to my arsenal thanks to the clearance sale, while the early pad you were asking (is it the first sound you hear you are referring to?) is a layer of two soudns from "twisted textures" (10$ at ~~~~~~~~~~~~, well spent!)

Quote Originally Posted by rayzalaf
    Nice but boring,
    It is 1:28 before you start to build on the theme which may be fine as a backing track behind video but it struggled to keep my attention. Then again at 2:30 you bring it up again at a time when it should already be interesting.
    Sorry, I seem to be very critical, but I really am trying to be helpful. The basic theme is fine but fairly constant so it needs more going on around it.
    Or is it a song with no vocalist.

Ray

www.rayinstirling.net
    Hi Ray,

hehe, arranging and composing, that are two different things, smile.
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

A lovely piece, Matteo; all the more beautiful for its
    restraint and the controlled pace and unfolding of it.

The one area I might look at a little more is the
    ending. Perhaps more ritardando as you gradually
    suspend the motion.

Much enjoyed!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum