• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mini keyboard with weighted keys?

Share/Bookmark

Mini keyboard with weighted keys?

I've already got a keyboard with 88 weighted keys, but now I'm looking for something smaller (2 or 3 octaves) to put on my computer desk. I'm used to play on weighted keys and it would be nice to have them in a mini keyboard as well. I've seen lots of mini keyboard lately, but none of them had weighted keys. Mostly those with weighted keys are 88 models.

Do mini keyboards with weighted keys exist?

Re: Mini keyboard with weighted keys?

Hiya

The closest I think you'll get are the M-audio axiom series.
    I've jsut bought the 61 key version and it doesn't feel too bad for what is really a cheap midi controller. Not a patch on my Kawai mp4, but for only £179 it's good.

Gav

Thanks, looks quite interesting! The Axiom 25 will probably come more close to my wishes than most of the other 25-key controllers do.

On the Novation site they claim that all their MIDI controllers have semi-weighted keys. Though the keys don't look like those M-Audio Axioms. I can't remember if I ever played on a Novation MIDI controller, but I wouldn't surprised the keys are just the regular ones.

The Fatar VMK-149 is a small keyboard with 49 weighted keys with the newest weighted Fatar action called "Grand Touch" that is very good.

I have an Axiom-49 which I like, but the keys aren't really weighted. I think they are technically "semi-weighted", but if you're comparing it to a fully-weighted "hammer-action"-type of 88-key controller, then they're as light as a feather, in my opinion. I do like it a lot though. The aftertouch seems very controllable, and for me, it compliments my Yamaha P-90 - which I use for my main controller for any kind of piano-type stuff - pretty well. It also has a lot of good MIDI controlling ability, whereas I have the 88-key solely for the keys and their response.

- Chris
    Intel E6600, 4 GB RAM, WinXP Pro, M-Audio Audiophile 192, Cubase 4.5.1, GVI 3.64, Kontakt 3.0.2

Hate to say it, but you'll come to miss the lower and upper notes with a small keyboard. The arrangement I have works well: I have a triangular desk that goes in the corner of the room, where a window lets in light. The midi keyboard, on a conventional stand, sits against the wall to the right. This way, I can use the desk when working on the computer using Word, etc, and just do a half turn to the midi keyboard when I want to open a sequencer and play. (It helps that I use a laptop, so I can easily turn it a few degrees to face me if I need to see it while I play. If you instead have a bigger system, a flat screen monitor would also be easy to turn.)

The key here is the triangular corner desk.

Another option that I considered was putting my notebook computer on a small stand above and behind the full-sized midi keyboard. High enough above my hands to let me twist knobs, but low enough to type on.

For a time, before I had the laptop, I was using still another arrangement: a wireless keyboard and a montor signal splitter that let me have one monitor beside my keyboard on a speaker stand, and another at my desk across the room. This worked very well, but I hated having the cords running around the baseboard and having to boot up the compter from one place and then move to another to play. Would work fine if the midi keyboard and computer were close by.

But what I've always wanted to build, but probably never will: a stand made like one of those old apartment ironing boards that lifts back Murphy bed style into the wall, so the keyboard is just out of the way until I need it. Would require very serious bracing and a way to connect the keyboard to the stand that would let you quickly disconnect it when you wanted to take it somewhere.

Yet what works best for me is the triangular corner desk.

I hope these ideas give you more possibilties. Or you may just want another keyboard...

Quote Originally Posted by chrisharang
    I have an Axiom-49 which I like, but the keys aren't really weighted. I think they are technically "semi-weighted", but if you're comparing it to a fully-weighted "hammer-action"-type of 88-key controller, then they're as light as a feather, in my opinion.
    I can imagine, though it's probably one the better options concerning 2-3 octave controllers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Johnson
    Hate to say it, but you'll come to miss the lower and upper notes with a small keyboard.
    That was exactly what I was thinking before I bought my 88-key controller.

The arrangement I have works well: I have a triangular desk that goes in the corner of the room, where a window lets in light. The midi keyboard, on a conventional stand, sits against the wall to the right. This way, I can use the desk when working on the computer using Word, etc, and just do a half turn to the midi keyboard when I want to open a sequencer and play.
    Looks like you know what my actual problem is. The case is that my 88-key controller is turned 90 degrees from my computer/monitors desk. It's far from a pleasure to look at the screen and using my left hand to fiddle on my keyboard controller. In some situations I even get pain in my shoulder at the end of a session

Unfortunately I don't have the space (yet) to get a better (V-shaped) desk to organize my gear in a more comfortable way. So I thought that it could help for just the "fiddling around" kind of things to have a mini controller next to my computer keyboard. Of course it's limited to a number of purposes, but it would replace the need to play on my 90-degrees-turned controller at least for some occasions.

That said, in the end a better placement is the way to go.

For a time, before I had the laptop, I was using still another arrangement: a wireless keyboard and a montor signal splitter that let me have one monitor beside my keyboard on a speaker stand, and another at my desk across the room. This worked very well, but I hated having the cords running around the baseboard and having to boot up the compter from one place and then move to another to play. Would work fine if the midi keyboard and computer were close by.
    Would work for me as well, I think.

But what I've always wanted to build, but probably never will: a stand made like one of those old apartment ironing boards that lifts back Murphy bed style into the wall, so the keyboard is just out of the way until I need it. Would require very serious bracing and a way to connect the keyboard to the stand that would let you quickly disconnect it when you wanted to take it somewhere.
    Looks like a tough job to get it reliable

Yet what works best for me is the triangular corner desk.
    Did you construct it yourself?

I hope these ideas give you more possibilties. Or you may just want another keyboard...
    Yeah certainly, much appreciated.

I found it at a yard sale, and only tried it with the keyboard when I got tired of the same situation you're in. (Thus the long post--I had tried just about everything.)

Ikea carries a triangular desk though:

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...umber=00077546

Mine is smaller, just a triangular piece of wood on some legs. Makes a good setup, and gives you a lot of room. Cheers.

Go Back to forum