• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Music Shop near Missions Bay, San Diego + SAMASH/guitar center

Share/Bookmark

OT: Music Shop near Missions Bay, San Diego + SAMASH/guitar center

Hi all from Melbourne, Down Under!

I will be going to the USA for the first time in my 30 year life for an engineering conference (OMAE 2007) to be held in Missions Bay, San Diego... I will be staying at Paradise Point Resort...

Now, I have absolutely no idea what's around San Diego, except that if I drive North 2 hours I will get to LA...

I am looking at buying some music gear (digital multi-track like the Korg D888) since everything is half price in the USA so am wondering if anyone could recommend a music shop somewhere close to Missions Bay?

I will be taking a road trip back up to LA before flying from LA back to Melbourne. Are there any other shops along the way I can drop by to buy some gear?

Also, is it safe to order via Sam ash or guitar centre?

Thanks!

meeehoon

Re: OT: Music Shop near Missions Bay, San Diego + SAMASH/guitar center

Hi Meehon,

I haven't lived in California for some time, but there are many many great music stores near LA and some near SanDiego as well. Maybe some of our California folks could tell you something more specific.

As far as Sam Ash and other online music stores - they have always been great for me. I also like "Musicians Friend", but my personal favorite is "Zzounds".

Have fun and be safe while you are here!

Cheers,
    Kenny

Hi Meehon,

I haven't lived in California for some time, but there are many many great music stores near LA and some near SanDiego as well. Maybe some of our California folks could tell you something more specific.

As far as Sam Ash and other online music stores - they have always been great for me. I also like "Musicians Friend", but my personal favorite is "Zzounds".

Have fun and be safe while you are here!

Cheers,
    Kenny

Mind that you drive on the right side of the streets, Mate, and don't try to smuggle a 'roo into the states.

I hope that you enjoy your visit to our country.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Hi, Meeehon,

I live in San Diego and am familiar with the resort that you will be staying at. There is a Guitar Center about a 15 minute drive east of the Paradise Point Resort. The Guitar Center is located in La Mesa. If you rent a car you should have no problem getting there. The Guitar Center in La Mesa is located at 8825 Murray Drive. You would get on Interstate 8 east and drive to the Murray Drive exit and turn north.

You can get a map and driving instructions by going to their web site: www.guitarcenter.com Click on store locations/California/La Mesa.

Hope this helps

Have some printouts of other online pricing before you get to gutar center, they will price match from anywhere in the world! B&H Photo usually has online pricing anywhere from 10-25% less than street price, (which is usually 30% less than MSRP to begin with)

Also, call ahead a few days before and ask if they have the equipment you are looking for in stock. If not, they can usually order it in from another store and have it there in a day or two.
    Experience what is necessary to build upon self character, for that is Life's most significant learning event.

Buying on line from SamAsh shouldl not be a problem. I have bought a few things from them over the years.

I have also used Guitar Center, but not on line. I don't feel comfortable with them, can't really say why, as they have done nothing shady or improper in my dealings with them. Seems to me like they were a bit too agressive and pushy?

Richard

Cool man! Thanks for all the responses guys! Will definitely enjoy my stay there!

Go Back to forum