• Register
  • Help

Topic: Freebie Bell Piano

Share/Bookmark

Cool Freebie Bell Piano

Here's another instrument built from my sampling of last week. This one is a set of harmonics on the bottom A string - obtained by touching the string with a finger whilst playing the note from the keyboard.

http://www.savefile.com/projects/808476376

It's similar in concept to the 'Sinister' piano, except that that one was damped in very small increments, giving subtle changes of resonance, whereas this is done in much larger increments, giving completely different harmonics, many of which are very bell-like.

It's done with and without pedal, at 5-8 dynamics per harmonic, up to about the half-way point on the string (I assumed the other half would give similar results). The plan was to do this on every string, but just doing it on this one took about an hour of recording, so, at the moment it's more of an effect than a complete instrument.

I made two Kontakt programs. The modwheel version allows you to play it more like the real thing. All samples are mapped to A0, and as you push the modwheel forward you move the damping point forward on the string. The spread out version allows you to play different harmonics simultaneously from different keys.

Hope you enjoy it.

Re: Freebie Bell Piano

Hi,

Sounds like a great idea. Can you also upload the .wav files?
    I don't have Kontakt.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Karl
    Hi,

I don't have Kontakt.

Thanks!
    If it's like his other instruments, it probably has the .wav files. It just also includes Kontakt .nki files that map these .wav files.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Karl
    Hi,

I don't have Kontakt.

Thanks!
    Hi Steve,

The folder of samples are in wav format. The problem is you probably don't want to do the work involved in mapping them.

I have a somewhat unorthodox approach, because of being a rank amateur. I have no idea how to get a samples at predetermined levels. I'm always impressed when commercially released instruments have 16+ velocity layers, all comparable across all pitches. But I have no clue how to do that. Instead I tend to just record at a number of levels and work with whatever I get. Generally I divide up the 127 values for the velocity cc by the number of dB in the dynamic range I end up with, and create a linear relationship between the two. For instance, say I have a dynamic range of 42dB then I will argue that 1dB occupies 3 velocity values. So, if I have a sample whose peak volume is 0dB and one whose peak volume is -6dB I will map the louder sample to be triggered by a velocity of 127 down to 109 (127-(6x3)), and the quieter from 108 down to the peak value of the next, etc. So once I've chopped up all my samples (there are 144 for this particular instrument) I have to analyse their peak dynamic in something like Sound Forge, then painstakingly map each note in this manner. It takes a loooong time (for instance the 'sinister' piano that I did yesterday has 606 samples). Sorry I can't make them any more user friendly for the non-Kontakt user.

Hi Pingu,

Ahhhhhhh .. .there they are!

I needed to scroll down a bit farther.

Thanks!

Go Back to forum