• Register
  • Help

Topic: Logic Express

Share/Bookmark

Logic Express

Ok, I don't use midi much, so here goes. I have a choice:

1. Buy a pugin Reverb unitl to go into my Metro (sequencer)
    2. Buy Logic Express

Both are the same price. What should I do? Does GPO work with Logic Express and can I do all of the things I need to such as tempo tap (live) and various modulators (expression, vibrator, pitch bend). What about the new Steinway Piano coming out? Will this work with Logic Express?

Thanks,

Graham

Re: Logic Express

Logic Express will do most of what you want. However, it has one limitation not listed in the comparison chart with Logic Pro, the full-featured version. You can only arm, record, and audition one track (and one instrument voice) at a time. So for example, using GPO, if you want to listen to a blend of, say, Bb clarinet with the bassoon, the only way to hear the two blended is to record each separately and then play them back together. For me, this was an annoying enough inconvenience to warrent spending the extra $ on Pro. Apple WAS good about it, and gave me a discount because they acknowledged the error of not mentioning this difference in their on-line comparison chart.

That's really odd about Logic Express - even Garageband will let me load and play as many instruments as I want (and my cpu will tolerate)...Sounds like a real deal-breaker.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Everybody, including the folks at Apple are confused about this. Logic Express is the same as Garage Band in this functionality. Yes, you can load and play back as many instruments/tracks as you like; but you can only listen to them multi-timbrally by recording material first on each track. A work around is to record a line on one track, then copy it to the others you want to hear blended together. Both GB and LE will play back multi-timbrally, but you can only arm and record (or audition) one track at a time.

If you're happy with Garage Band, then LE will also work for you and will give you a lot more flexibility in other functions--including working with plug-ins. The included reverbs are quite nice, as are some of the EXS24 instruments. Apparently, not many musicians are bothered by this limitation; when I posted previously about it on this forum , it came as news to some experienced users of LE.

Got it - I never use the audition feature; I just load and write. Actually, I write in a notation program, and then, on occasion, import it as a MIDI file into GBand if I want to tweak it a little. Do you know if LE supports soundfonts? One problem with GBand is that it doesn't handle them well, and sometimes they can be very useful.

So, just to make it clear for my thick little brain, if I import a midi file in LE, I can load the GPO instruments in and playback, edit, etc.? How is it on cpu - GBand is very resource hungry...

Thanks for the info.

Ron
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

Ron-

Working that way, LE will be fine for you. It's seemlessly integrated with GB (the same instruments are available inside LE.) I'm not sure about Soundfonts files--LE works exclusively, I believe, with Audio Units. I've never bumped up against true resource issues (at least so far) with Logic. But I don't know what you're running. For comparison, I'm using a MacBook Pro with a 7200 RPM drive and 2 Gigs of RAM.

However, I have enountered one resource-related bug when playing back multi track files after loading them into Logic. In the first play-through, I keep getting error messages that "System resources are low" or "Failed to sync midi and Core Audio." This, even though the CPU usage is next to nil. Often, I have to keep hitting 'Play' on the transport all the way through to keep it going. After a play-through (or two), the bugs seem to straighten out as Logic "relearns" the file. I've noticed this with GPO multiple instruments, but not with Logic or GB instruments--perhaps because with GPO I've been more "vertically ambitious" loading as many as three dozen instruments at once and playing as many as ten at a time. I think this is a bug in Logic, not in my computer. Having searched this on Apple's forum, it appears to be a common problem that users are just living with, with no obvious solution.

Otherwise I'm very happy with Logic; I find it much easier to work with than Cubase or Sonar were on my old PC.

Cheers,
    Clay

Clay,

I get a simliar message in GB - "may not playback as there are too many instruments", or words to that effect. I just hit play, and it is fine. But, I do run out of headroom pretty quickly. I checked about LE, and with the educational discount, it's very attractive. Two things will hold me back for the moment: LE now requires Tiger, and I'm still running OS 10.3.9. Also, I use Sibelius for nearly all my work. They were recently acquired by Avid/ProTools. There is a new version of Sibelius on its way (or so we think), and as I'm certain to upgrade, there may be some sequencer-like tools added to it; none of this is certain, and if it turns out that it doesn't have that, then LE may be the way to go.

Do you know if LE has any guitar instruments, specifically nylon string? Decent guitars are hard to find, and the ones I've found are more expensive than GPO!

Thanks for your help. Didn't mean to hijack the thread...

Ron
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

Ron-

I'm fond of the EXS24 guitars that come with LE. There's a twelve string, a classical acoustic, a fingered nylon, nylon harmonics, and a couple of nice electrics. They're extremely expressive and versitile. Isn't it wierd how so many music software vendors fail to feature lists of the instrument sounds they're providing?

Go Back to forum