• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: recording on a dual core machine

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy recording on a dual core machine

I posted this on the Cubase forum with no luck, so I try it here:
    Since buying a new computer I´m experiencing a weird problem.It´s an Intel 6600@2.40Ghz, 2GB of RAM, running Cubase SX3 with M-Audio Firewire 410 as soundcard.Everything works just fine-except for one thing: When recording audio I get the fryingpan syndrome-crackles, sizzles, whatever you wanna call it.No problems with softsynths (midi) or importing audio.It´s just the recording that doesn´t work.I have two internal SATAs, the mobo is an MSI P965 platinum and of course the soundcard is firewire.Is this the problem?

Re: recording on a dual core machine

The 965 is a very solid chipset. Your problem almost certainly lies in the drivers for your audio interface.

Ok, thanks.So if M-audio finally get their Vista-drivers ready maybe those will work?I´m still on XP SP2.

A shot in the dark here.

Try going into the M-Audio control panel and increase the buffer size.

And I assume you are using the ASIO drivers in Cubase?

Rob

I raised the Asio buffer size to 1024, didn´t help one bit.And it works perfectly on my old one-core Dell machine.That´s why I thought it might be the firewire bus.Or the Pci-bridge.
    thanks for trying.

You may want to try to connect your sound module with a different FireWire card because sometimes, integrated chipsets (on motherboards) and drivers do not work very well together.

Most FireWire soundcards recommend a FireWire card with a Texas Instruments chipset. What are you using for your FireWire interface?

Jim

I´ve put in the firewire adapter card I had in the Dell (That´s a P4 cpu 2.66 Ghz with a uh..Dell mobo).Same result.Works there, not here.I´m not sure about the chipset, it seems to be a Via VT6306.But why would the FireWire 410 accept it on the one-core pc?
    The integrated FireWire controller (on the P965) is a VIA VT6307.

Maybe watch the cpu load of the cores. Whenever one of them hits the 100 % I get crackles, no matter how low the load on the others is.

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

The CPU load is 2-3 %, more or less evenly distributed

Go Back to forum