• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Freebie Zither Piano

Share/Bookmark

Cool Freebie Zither Piano

Here's the final program from my piano samples. I'll probably do more recording next vacation, but that's a while off.

http://www.savefile.com/projects/808476731

This one is basic strums up and down the strings using the back of my finger nails. Three speeds at three dynamics, pedalled and unpedalled. The C3 piano frame has three struts running the length of the piano, splitting it into four compartments, which kind of get in the way of this technique. So there are strums for each of the four pitch ranges.

The lower and lower middle samples sound great. The upper middle and upper ranges are somewhat more coloured. This is because this technique was something of an after-thought. I had the mic pointing at the lower strings and the lid for everything else I did, meaning it caught the direct sound of the strings and some reflection from the lid. The upper strings are quite off axis, though, which means the sound is mainly reflection from the lid. So it gets better with the louder samples, but the quieter ones are a little different in colour. There are a couple of samples I inexplicably forgot, and I only got two useful dynamic levels in the top quadrant, but otherwise a very useful instrument for budding X-files style composers.

Re: Freebie Zither Piano

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    Here's the final program from my piano samples. I'll probably do more recording next vacation, but that's a while off.

http://www.savefile.com/projects/808476731

This one is basic strums up and down the strings using the back of my finger nails. Three speeds at three dynamics, pedalled and unpedalled. The C3 piano frame has three struts running the length of the piano, splitting it into four compartments, which kind of get in the way of this technique. So there are strums for each of the four pitch ranges.

The lower and lower middle samples sound great. The upper middle and upper ranges are somewhat more coloured. This is because this technique was something of an after-thought. I had the mic pointing at the lower strings and the lid for everything else I did, meaning it caught the direct sound of the strings and some reflection from the lid. The upper strings are quite off axis, though, which means the sound is mainly reflection from the lid. So it gets better with the louder samples, but the quieter ones are a little different in colour. There are a couple of samples I inexplicably forgot, and I only got two useful dynamic levels in the top quadrant, but otherwise a very useful instrument for budding X-files style composers.
    Hi Pingu - cool of you to do these things. I'll "add to your reputation" - lets see if that earns you a star!

I haven't downloaded all your stuff since it had to be done on a file by file basis which I don't have the patience for just yet. But you might want to consider one large download for each instrument?

Anyway cool stuff - I like the piano you posted a few days ago!

Yes Pingu,

I, too, haven't had time to download your stuff - but totally top marks for putting this stuff together and then sharing!

Give the fella a star I say!

regards

Barrie

Thanks Pingu.

Got the .wavs.

PLease NOTE: I encountered an attempt by the site to use MSFT word to do something, and then got forwarded to an other site.

Pingu, great stuff thanks for sharing it with NS forum members.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen
    Hi Pingu - cool of you to do these things. I'll "add to your reputation" - lets see if that earns you a star!

I haven't downloaded all your stuff since it had to be done on a file by file basis which I don't have the patience for just yet. But you might want to consider one large download for each instrument?

Anyway cool stuff - I like the piano you posted a few days ago!
    Hi Marcussen
    I'd like to do one giant download, but I don't have my own space as yet (and I'm not sure I'd know what to do with it if I did) so I'm limited by the restrictions of the free upload sites. I'll work on it for next time.

Hey Pingu,

The .nki file seems to want 47 samples that aren't in the .rar... at least as far as I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by tfishbein82
    Hey Pingu,

The .nki file seems to want 47 samples that aren't in the .rar... at least as far as I can tell.
    I'm really sorry, you're quite right. I'm not quite sure how that happened. The way I built the instrument was to have the samples in several folders for easy location, then, when I was finished I used the 'Save Patch and Samples' option in Kontakt to save the whole bundle to a new drive. I can only think that I did this somewhat prematurely, and then continued to build the instrument, so that the final nki was still drawing samples from two drives.

Anyway, as I write the correct rar is uploading. I'm really, really sorry to everyone who has downloaded it already.

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    I'm really sorry, you're quite right. I'm not quite sure how that happened. The way I built the instrument was to have the samples in several folders for easy location, then, when I was finished I used the 'Save Patch and Samples' option in Kontakt to save the whole bundle to a new drive. I can only think that I did this somewhat prematurely, and then continued to build the instrument, so that the final nki was still drawing samples from two drives.

Anyway, as I write the correct rar is uploading. I'm really, really sorry to everyone who has downloaded it already.
    Hey... no problem whatsoever. Thanks for doing this all in the first place.

any chance of a EXS version? thanks :-)

Go Back to forum