• Register
  • Help

Topic: Recommend sound cards for GS PCs

Share/Bookmark

Recommend sound cards for GS PCs

Looking for help selecting quality sound cards for my dedicated Gigastudio systems.. Any suggestions? I need digital outs! I know that much.

Thanks

Re: Recommend sound cards for GS PCs

Well depends on what your looking for. The m-audio Delta series has some great soundcards with gsif drivers. I use em on my comps and they have so far worked without a glitch.

If you ONLY need digital outs, and can use ADAT connection, then the RME Digi96xx series is a great and \"cheap\" solution.

Even better, the M-Audio Revolution has 8 outs in stereo pairs with great audio specs. It costs $99, but CompUSA had it on sale for ~$69. It sounds as good as my Delta 1010, and is in many ways similar. The only questions is if it is GSIF compat. See:
    http://www.m-audio.com/products/consumer/revolution_page1.php

I like my MOTU 2408. It\'s got 8 1/4\" analog ins/outs, 3 lightpipe ins/outs, 3 DA-88 ins/outs, and 1 SPDif in/out with an aux out. It\'s also got 2 1/4\" master outs. You could connect this thing to anything [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] It\'s also got totally prestine D/A conversion that rivals Apogee. It comes with the PCI-424 card but can be used as a stand alone converter when the computers off. Sweeeet [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by His Frogness:
    I like my MOTU 2408. It\'s got 8 1/4\" analog ins/outs, 3 lightpipe ins/outs, 3 DA-88 ins/outs, and 1 SPDif in/out with an aux out. It\'s also got 2 1/4\" master outs. You could connect this thing to anything [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] It\'s also got totally prestine D/A conversion that rivals Apogee. It comes with the PCI-424 card but can be used as a stand alone converter when the computers off. Sweeeet [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">And do you use this with a dedicated Giga Machine? No problems? good latency?

Seems like the 2408 is a pretty good bet but it is a lot more expensive than a lot of other options. So figure out exactly what you need before you jump.

If it were me I\'d use the 2408 on a Mac (where it\'s apparently much more stable) and use it as a host computer and run up to 3 standalone Giga machines connected to it via lightpipe, one bank per PC, (like RME or similiar)

If you\'re gonna use a PC as host maybe get an RME card with 3 banks of lightpipe and you\'re off.

That\'s just me though. I\'m trying to stay away from extra D/A conversions. Sounds better and less wires too.

Go Back to forum