• Register
  • Help

Topic: New GS3 User with BSOD and Questions

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy New GS3 User with BSOD and Questions

Hi,
    I just recently purchased and installed GS3. When I run the software it BSODs my pc. The Message on the blue screen, which is up for only a moment has something to do with IRQ and a value High_Low. My system is a AMD Duo core 4800, 2Gb RAM, Windows XP Pro SP2. I’m using an Emagic EMI 2|6 and running LOGIC 5.5. The EMI isn’t GSIF 2-compatible which means I’ll soon be getting a new interface device. LOGIC is old and doesn’t support Rewire. I had to disable the Rewire function otherwise when I loaded Logic, it would blue screen with the same error as when I tried to run GS3.

I haven’t installed any patches yet. I also need to contact tech support because something went wrong with the online registration process and I need to have them manually register it.

When I do install patches do I need to install them in sequential order or can I just install the most recent patch?

I’m looking at the TASCAM US-144 for its GSIF 2-compatibility and portability. Has any one had any experiences with the US-144 or 122?

Thanks for any help,

Rick

Re: New GS3 User with BSOD and Questions

Well I did some searching on some previous threads and will look into some things suggested there.

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=47101

If you don't run Rewire and don't have a GSIF card, GS3 can't do much of anything.

Have you run GS3 configuration from the menu? As I recall, you can tell it to run without a GSIF card, and you can enable it to run Rewire. Hopefully that will get it on its feet.

I figured I would be able to do much, at least after the configuration and then reading up on Rewire. I read the thread about best card for GS and I ordered the M-Audio 192. Sounds like thats a good card and I should get it in a day or so. Yeah FEDEX.
    I also Ordered a SATA 4 drive hotswap cage. With this it will give me the ability to run swap out RAID arrays, so I an run one OS dedicated to Audio Production and one for everything else. I want to eliminate as may variables as possible in creating a enviroment suitable for GS3.

I believe I've read that TASCAM has released a update that deals with the dual core issue. Is this correct, I hope so as most new pc come with duo core processors.

Thankya

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by rikatomik
    I believe I've read that TASCAM has released a update that deals with the dual core issue. Is this correct, I hope so as most new pc come with duo core processors.
    Yep. Dual core should be no problem. My Giga PC is single though, so I can't say I've personally tested the claim.

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    If you don't run Rewire and don't have a GSIF card, GS3 can't do much of anything.
    Have you run GS3 configuration from the menu? As I recall, you can tell it to run without a GSIF card, and you can enable it to run Rewire. Hopefully that will get it on its feet.
    Jon - He said Logic 5.5 won't run Rewire. I believe him . . . I "lost" my Roland VS1680 because the version of Logic I have won't run in anything past Win95 (for me - but others have reported running it in '98). Your suggestion about going into GS Config might save him from the BSOD, though.

Rik - On the updates . . . just do the latest; the earlier patches are included. It does account for Core Duo processors.

Joe

Logic 5.5 actually can run rewire version 1. In order to get the MIDI part running you have to use a virtual MIDI tool like MAPLE to communicate between Logic and GS3. When I first got GS3 I did a partial rewire set up just to see if it was possible, and the rewire selection did show up in Logic (just no MIDI communication, which rewire version 2 can handle). Since I have a GSIF card, I decided that wasn't the way I wanted, or needed to run my system, so I never persued it any further.

Rob

Woohoo!!!
    I recieved my Audiophile 192 tonight and I popped it in slick as can be. I ran the GS3 config app and then ran GS3 and bingo! Everything seems to run great. I noted that GS3 will not allow be to use MIDI IN which Im thinking might be because I haven't fully registered it yet; is this the case? I'm really excited to start establishing a library of samples and get to making some music. Now I haven't tried running Logic at the same time but I don't think Id want to for performance reasons. I have another older PC that I'm upgrading, might run logic on that one.
    Anyway, I'm very happy, now I just gotta get this registration thing worked out.

Thanks everyone!!!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by rikatomik
    I noted that GS3 will not allow be to use MIDI IN which Im thinking might be because I haven't fully registered it yet; is this the case?
    I'm not sure I understand the MIDI IN problem, but I'm sure that registration won't fix it. The 10 day grace period offers 100% functionality.

Well that concerns me since the MIDI IN on the config screen is grayed out. Might have to try reinstalling the drivers for the card again.

Go Back to forum