• Register
  • Help

Topic: MIDI control channel for "keyswitching"

Share/Bookmark

MIDI control channel for "keyswitching"

Hello,

I wonder if the good folks at Garritan have considered providing a MIDI control channel that would support the same functionality as keyswitching? While keyswitching instruments are fine when playing from the Kontact Player, when using GPO in a sequencer, adding keyswitching notes has an important downside. If you transpose a MIDI region, the keyswitching notes are also transposed and the instrument effects are messed up. This becomes a problem when using sequencing software like GarageBand and Logic, which supports the transposition of regions without even looking at the midi note data.

I have read through the reference manual for both the Kontact and Kontact 2 versions of the GPO library and have not found such a CC. If I have missed it, my apologies and I only ask that someone points me in the right direction.

Otherwise, the provision of such a CC would seem fairly straightforward. For example, suppose CC 24 was provided for this kind of control. CC24 = 0 could mean use the keyswitching data embedded in the midi data (i.e., operate as now). CC24 != 0 could mean use the CC24 value for keyswitching and ignore notes in the midi data outside the range of the instrument. CC24 =1 could specify the same behavior as the lowest keyswitching key for the instrument; CC24 = 2 could specify the same behavior as the next keyswitching key, etc.

I realize GPO has just gone through a major upgrade, moving from Kontact to Kontact 2, so perhaps this is an unwelcomed suggestion. However, I do believe it would improve the usability of GPO in at least GarageBand and Logic. (correction to original message: adding CC "keyswitching" support would not be useful in Garageband, since GarageBand does not provide access to MIDI control channels. However, it would be useful in Logic, Logic Express and perhaps other sequencer software).

GB

Re: MIDI control channel for "keyswitching"

Hey Ben,

I went searching for the same thing to no avail. I ended up putting the keyswitches in a seperate track that shares that same midi channel with the instrument being keyswitched.

This could probably be done with scripting - you map a certain control into key press events. Hmm... have to think about that.

Cheers,
    Kenny

Hi Kenny,

Thanks for the workaround (putting the keyswitching data in a separate track that shares the midi channel) - that's a good idea. It does, however, double the number of tracks, so if a future version of GPO could support a CC with the same function or if your scripting idea works out, I think that would be an improvment.

Regards,

GB

Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the URL. I must display my ignorance, however. I don't use Finale (I use Logic Express), so I'm not sure how I might use the Finale file in LE. Is that possible?

GB

Hi Ben,

I think your idea is a good one. It would be very easy to implement a Kontakt script that would allow you to map a CC to a Keypress. I am going to think about how the UI might work and give it a try. Any ideas on how to set up the User Interface?

Cheers,
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by Gentle Ben
    Hi Richard,

Thanks for the URL. I must display my ignorance, however. I don't use Finale (I use Logic Express), so I'm not sure how I might use the Finale file in LE. Is that possible?

GB
    Ben - apologies I didn't pick up on the fact you weren't using Finale

However the essence of the post I referred you to is what you are looking for - note on/off values can be sent via a "midi dump" signal. If LE is capable of sending midi dumps, then you can use these to trigger keyswitch events.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Long
    Hi Ben,

I think your idea is a good one. It would be very easy to implement a Kontakt script that would allow you to map a CC to a Keypress. I am going to think about how the UI might work and give it a try. Any ideas on how to set up the User Interface?

Cheers,
    Kenny
    Kenny - I'm a bit out of my depth here. I don't understand LE or Kontact well enough to propose a user-interface for the purpose you proposed. (BTW, I have upgraded to the Kontact2 version of GPO). There does seem to be a complicating issue in that different families of instruments use different keys as the first in the keyswitching series. Not having done any Kontact scripting or even understanding how to do so makes me a pretty poor choice for suggestions. Sorry.

GB

Go Back to forum