• Register
  • Help

Topic: Djembe Soundfont

Share/Bookmark

Djembe Soundfont

Hello, and glad to be here. I've been lurking for a week or two and am really impressed with the level of knowledge and willingness to share, here.

My next purchase, when I can get the scratch together, will be a sampler, either Kontakt or Giga or SampleTank. I would love to know some of the relative strengths/weaknesses of each.

However, the purpose of my post: until that point I am a slave to the soundfont. My favorite percussion instrument is a djembe, and being unable to find a decent djembe sample or soundfont, I decided to make one myself.

With the aid of several friends we recorded an afternoon of samples, and I am currently assembling them into the font. You can read about my adventures here. Feedback is always welcome.

Anyway, I'm glad to make your acquaintance – you’re welcome to learn more about me at my website: www.allthingsnewminstries.org.

Re: Djembe Soundfont

Hi and welcome Raweber,
    This forum is a great place, and I think you'll enjoy it. Incidentally, when you have decided on your sampler one very good djembe is in 'Atsia,' a library of African percussion from Sonivox.

Pleased to meet you Rob. It might be easier for people to check out your website if you send them to http://www.allthingsnewministries.org/
    I miss letrs when I typ fst too

Jeff

Doh! Thanks - and good sleuthing on the correct web address.

Pingu, you are one busy man. I can't wait to try out some of the samples you've posted. How much time do you put into creating those? I know that I already have over a dozen hours into my djmebe with at least four to go until it's finished.

Quote Originally Posted by raweber
    Doh! Thanks - and good sleuthing on the correct web address.

Pingu, you are one busy man. I can't wait to try out some of the samples you've posted. How much time do you put into creating those? I know that I already have over a dozen hours into my djmebe with at least four to go until it's finished.
    Yes it does seem to take over. I think I spent about 5 hours recording piano sounds, (the rather long decay doesn't help) then about 30-40 chopping these sessions into individual samples (this starts very slowly, since Sound Forge takes forever to cut anything out of a large file), and I have no idea how many mapping them in Kontakt. Fortunately this last job can be done in front of the TV, so I've watched the entire Star Wars saga and a whole bunch of other films this week. My cymbals were more of a Smallville thing...

Go Back to forum