• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: KVM Switch Recommendations

Share/Bookmark

KVM Switch Recommendations

I\'m looking for a reliable KVM switch for two computers. Any suggestions based on experience? Thanks.

Re: KVM Switch Recommendations

I\'ve got a tried and true setup. It\'s the IOGear USB Miniport III CGS-1714 (four ports). I use the Microsoft Natural Elite keyboard and Logitech Optical mouse. Works 100% with Giga. No PS2 involved - USB all the way.

One person at the Tascam forum was using a PS2 setup that would crash giga. He ended up unplugging the mouse and that solved it. Now he has four mice on his desk.

Thank\'s Lee and Jon.

I don\'t know what you should get, but I do
    know what NOT to get: TrendNet!

The electronic switching is done in a round
    robin way: 1->2->3->4->1 etc. and you can\'t
    see which PC you choosing - you just have to circle until you find the right one - and the
    screen switches display mode each time regardless
    the fact that all PC\'s run in the same resolution. And thats just the minor cons:
    How about every time you boot, you can be shure that one or more PC turns up with out mouse, keyboard or both, so you have to reboot that PC
    maybe even several times before it gets the hang of it. If you haven\'t got all your PC\'s turned on
    the round-robin will fail when it comes to a PC not on. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Anyway if you decide you must have a TrendNet
    because the design is soooo cool - just let me know, you can have mine cheap, very cheap [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Bjarne

I don\'t bother with a KVM at all. I use a free remote desktop program and log into my second DAW over the network.

Works great.

Scott.

RDP can take significant resources to employ - on the net, from the processor and in memory. Then again, if it works for you and was free, that\'s excellent. I won\'t complain. KVMs aren\'t free, but it\'s nice to know that they don\'t take any additional resources to run.

Hi Scott
    I\'ve considered that solution too, but I\'m afraid
    it will mess up my MidiOverLan setup.
    Do you use MidiOverLan? Problems?

regards
    Bjarne

RDP can take significant resources to employ - on the net, from the processor and in memory. Then again, if it works for you and was free, that\'s excellent. I won\'t complain. KVMs aren\'t free, but it\'s nice to know that they don\'t take any additional resources to run.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Certainly the Microsoft Remote Desktop has a lot of overhead. I think from memory that it uses Active-x Controls and ASP. Of course if it\'s runnning ASP it then also has to run IIS. So that is a pretty huge overhead for one measly application.

I am using Real VNC it\'s about 150k in size and has very little overhead in its operation.

Hi Scott
    I\'ve considered that solution too, but I\'m afraid
    it will mess up my MidiOverLan setup.
    Do you use MidiOverLan? Problems?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Bjarne I also have MOL but have only been using it to create a named pipe. i.e. to midi up two applications on the same machine.

I admit that I havent tried running VNC and MOL at the same time but I dont think it would be that much of an issue with my setup. My second DAW just runs Giga. If I want to make changes its not in the middle of a song so I dont think VNC snd MOL would really compete as such.

Why not try it? VNC is free so if it doesnt work out you can always scrap it.

Cheers, Scott.

I use Ex.Tend.it it\'s great and my clients are very impressed.
    It does take a couple of seconds for keyboard and mouse to respond, BUT midi and audio are not affected.

Sincerely,

One advantage for the remote desktop solution that the KVM doesn\'t offer is the ability to see two screens at once. (Well, part of two screens anyway - the remote PC is shown in a window.) With a KVM it\'s one or the other.

Sometimes things to wrong, and it\'s nice to be able to send a midi event from one PC and see if it gets received by the other. It\'s tough when you can only see one screen at a time. With an RDP-type solution you can have multiple windows up, press a button to trigger an event on one PC and simultaneously (with a hint of delay) see that the event is received by the other machine.

I\'ll download VNC and give it a try. I\'ll still use the KVM for most of my work, but will be able to use VNC for troubleshooting multi-PC problems.

Thanks for the tip.

Go Back to forum