• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT need more RAM?

Share/Bookmark

Talking OT need more MEMORY?

Howabout THIS??

http://allonlettera.com/?p=4

Talk about CAVERNOUS.

Who'd need that kind of storage space anyway? You'd NEVER be able to fill that much space up!

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Re: OT need more RAM?

That would be the compact version then

My first work PC was a 4.7MHz 8088 twin floppy beast. The boss at the time turned up one day with a present of 2 x 20 Mb hard drives and I remember thinking 'what am I going to do with all that extra space?'. It didn't take long to need that and more.

Re: OT need more MEMORY?

I just realized, in my weariness, I used RAM in my topic heading, and this is nothing to do with RAM.

Sorry.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry W.

I just realized, in my weariness, I used RAM in my topic heading, and this is nothing to do with RAM.

Sorry.

Jerry
    Looks like technically it is RAM...

"The bragging rights for the world's first hard disk go to IBM, which launch the IBM 305 Random Access Method of Accounting and Control (RAMAC) in 1956. It has a whopping 5Mb of storage capacity (that's about one mp3, but tons and tons of punch cards)."

http://www.siliconvalleysleuth.com/2...50th_birt.html

Someone calls it a "one-song iPod"
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by tmonaghan
    That would be the compact version then

My first work PC was a 4.7MHz 8088 twin floppy beast. The boss at the time turned up one day with a present of 2 x 20 Mb hard drives and I remember thinking 'what am I going to do with all that extra space?'. It didn't take long to need that and more.
    Same here more or less...

Amstrad 1512 ladies and gents!

512 kb RAM (WOW!) 2 floppies of 5 1/4 (now eclipsed I reckon), and glorious B&W CGA (4 colours! Talk about pixeling!)

Still there is were I learned GW and Q Basic (which I still use from time to time), learned to draw a little and made my first monophonic tunes . Then came Soudblasted! Ah well!

Either way, the only thing I can see going bigger is graphics and DVDs, where size will size to matter (the size of the screen. I mean how larger a screen can you fit into your house from a 50" or something?). Resoluttion can't go much better than that, same with audio at 96 KHz and 24-bit (more or less that is, but still DVDs are stereo to that resolution, going down to 44.1 KHz and 16-bit, you get 5:1). The only bettering (is it a verb? :S) is the 3-d. Watching a movie, or playing a game full 3-d, being inside it. That would be a resource whore (sorry for the expression)...

The other thing that could go better maybe is to have a huge bassment to keep locked the GPO musicians, and calling them up, everytime you want to try something. Resource heavy as well, but much worth it I reckon.

I started with a Timex Sinclair computer with 2 kb of RAM which I upgraded to 16 kb. It had mono graphics and no sound. Used a cassette recorder for storage. It was great for learning how to problem on. and that was about it. I had a very basic flight simulator on it.

Jim

Hey Stephen, I worked on the Altair machine as well. I also built an Imsai 8080 from parts - that was a real chore! It is amazing how quickly data grows to fill all available memory and disk space!

Cheers,
    Kenny

Talking Re: OT need more RAM?

My first computer was a Sinclair ZX 81 in 1981. He has had 1 KB Ram.

In scool we learned to read this:

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

I worked on a hard disk like the one you show in 1963. The drives today are much easier to carry.

Charlie
    (day job)
    CEO, Cognetics Corporation

www.cognetics.com
    (night job)
    musician

Youngsters, all of us, obviously.

IBM System7: 4K Magnetic Core Memory, punched tape entry. I remember the day our 10MB unit arrived, and the fun I had installing it. That machine was a "real time controller."

IBM System 360 - which used those "whopping" 5MB Washing Machines. They were actually 7MB - 2Meg for Field Techs to run diagnostics and a new Sys Gen. You could swap 2 for 2. Instructions were sets of 2 to 64 circuit boards.

PDP8: Punched Tape input.
    Zilog Z80, and etching my own circuit boards for it . . .

(Ooops! I mean, I heard about these things somewhere.)

And some of us actually say "the good old days!"

Joe

Go Back to forum