• Register
  • Help

Topic: Aftertouch and envelopes

Share/Bookmark

Aftertouch and envelopes

Need some help from more experienced Giga users.

I recently acquired a Roland e-drum set which I set up with GS3 for "live" drumming vs. my old mouse and keyboard drumming routine. One nice feature about the Roland cymbals is that they output aftertouch to allow for cymbal chokes.

I've tried setting up GS3 (via the Giga Editor) to use different dimensions and ASDR envelope settings to respond to the aftertouch, but nothing seems to work. The GS3 midi monitor indicates that aftertouch is being transmitted and received and I can track the aftertouch in my sequencer.

Any thoughts or advice?

Re: Aftertouch and envelopes

Hey Bennett,
    Sorry-must've missed this thread.

Can you explain in a little more detail just what aspects of ADSR you're attempting to control, and give a simple step by step explanation of your approach? I've been fooled by the editor before into thinking that giga was not responding, when it was really just my method, or the fact that I neglected to save and reload, which is often needed for full response.

Belbin

Hello Belbin:

Thanks for your help!

What I am trying to achieve is to utilize the aftertouch signal from the Roland V-Cymbal to simulate a cymbal choke, ala Carmine Appice, etc. There is a zone on the underside of the cymbal triggers a fixed aftertouch value of 127 when activated, i.e. squeezed.

I tried various methods, such as using the aftertouch dimension. As expected, when I hit the cymbal it sounds the open cymbal; and when I hit the cymbal while grabbing the aftertouch zone, it plays the choked sample. Grabbing the choke zone after hitting an open cymbal doesn't do anything as a new sample is not triggered.

I thought I'd try using the mod wheel attack envelope thing except in reverse on the decay of the sample. The thought process being that the aftertouch signal triggers a modulation of the release of the sample simulating a choke.

Unfortunately this didn't work. Again, it seems that I can control the triggered sound with the aftertouch, but not the decay of the sample.

My next thought was to try using release samples, but these are only key activated.

I am running out of ideas and sorry for the clunky explanations!

Bennett,
    I don't think there is any way in giga to affect a change in release or decay from very long (sample's full duration) to very short (choke).

If you have release samples at your disposal, one way to do it is to map them to unused keys and and use eith the iMIDI controller-triggered rule or the iMIDI rule builder to convert aftertouch@127 to your desired note-on message for the newly remapped release samples. Assigning both the primary sample and the remapped release sample to the same key group in the giga editor will cause the chokes to stifle the long samples as one would expect of a typical release trigger sort of behavior. Key grouping and the above mentioned iMIDI rules are covered in the manuals for the editor and GS3 workstation respectively, so have a look to see if it's feasible, and drop a line back here if you need further clarification.

Two more questions:

1) what library are you doing this with?
    2) Will the various cymbals exist within the same .gig instrument preset, or will each occupy its own preset and be stacked in GS3?

Belbin

Quote Originally Posted by belbin
    Bennett,
    Two more questions:

1) what library are you doing this with?
    2) Will the various cymbals exist within the same .gig instrument preset, or will each occupy its own preset and be stacked in GS3?

Belbin
    Belbin:

Sorry for the long lapse between posts - got diverted from this project.

Anyway, long story short, finally had some time to test the iMidi to use aftertouch to trigger a "choke" sample and it worked perfectly. Thank you!

1) I am using Purrrfect Drums.
    2) I am using GS3's stacked instrument function and saving it as a .gsi/.gsp.

Thanks again, you advice was brilliant!

Glad to be of help!

Belbin

Go Back to forum