• Register
  • Help

Topic: How to !@#$ x-fade an existing patch?

Share/Bookmark

How to !@#$ x-fade an existing patch?

Hi Guys,

Though I'm a reasonably experienced with working with samplers (from the original Akai and Emu samplers to Kontakt 2 and Halion etc.), I'm having a hard time with the Gigastudio Editor.
    Personally, I think the UI is one of the worst I've seen, but I digress...

I've currently got an oboe patch that has two velocity layers; what I want to do is set both velocity layers to 127, and create a modwheel x-fade instead.
    It's something that takes me like 2 minutes in Kontakt, but so far after an hour of tinkering I've barely managed to get one of the layers to react to the modwheel.

How do I do this?

Cheers,

Joris

Like So:

1) Change the velocity splits to "layer" splits. Do this by clicking on the bar over the orange depiction of the vel splits, and selecting "layer" from the drop-down. Don't forget to set selection lock to "entire instrument", and "entire regions". Right clicking on any velocity split will present these options in a menu.

2) <<You may need to perform a save first>> Right click on the instrument and select "crossfade editor" from the menu. This opens the xfade editor.

3) Define your controller values to control how it fades the layers, and select modwheel from the list of options for "attenuation controller".

4) Save and load.

Hope this helps,
    Belbin

edit: BTW: To kill the instrument's response to velocity, lock to entire inst/region, as above, and set velocity curve to linear. Then set velocity curve range to low. These parameters are under "Key Response" in the big list of parameters on the lower right of the editor. This will render your instrument to a state where it responds to m/w dynamics, but not strike velocity-I assume from your post that this is what you want to do.

Re: How to !@#$ x-fade an existing patch?

Thanks!

I got that working..almost. Turned out I had done most of your steps, except saving it and reloading it in gigastudio. I hadn't realized GS can't do all the changes and sometimes needs to reload the patch.

However, though I have the x-fade working, I now get a weird pan to the right when I press my modwheel up.
    I'm wondering if there is some weird L/R sample stuff going on, but while applying the layer thing I did make sure that the 'all regions' feature was ticked.

So far this GS programming experience has been the worst I've had on any sampler (and I thought the Akai's were bad:P)
    Sorry, just can't get over how badly designed the GS editor is....

Joe

Forgot something:

"Lock to Stereo Pairs"

That should clear up your panning issues.

There's nothing wrong with the giga editor. Sure, it ain't that pretty, but it's all according to your perspective: My first sample edits were done with Creative Labs' Vienna Soundfont Editor. There was a learning curve, but GSEdit is so similar (albeit more powerful), that the transition was very smooth for me. As for how it compares to K2's editor, I wouldn't know. Ditto for any AKAI stuff.

Take your time, and don't cuss on it until you've figured some of it out. It's really cool. The GSEdit help files are pretty thorough. And remember there's at least one person here who loves to help people solve these kind of problems.

Belbin

Belbin,

Thanks for the help..it is appreciated.
    Sorry for the criticisms levelled at GS Editor..I just find the UI very illogical compared to other systems. The fact that you can't hear all your changes in realtime makes it quite infuriating at times.
    K2, although it's in a small window, is quite similar to the Akai and Emu way of doing things.

Anyhoo, I will give it another go....
    Cheers,

Joe

Go Back to forum